Schoolboy Q to headline fall Lawnparties, Angel Haze to be opening act

Hip-hop artist Schoolboy Q will be the main act at Lawnparties this fall, and Angel Haze will be the opening act, USG president Shawon Jackson ’15 announced in an email to the student bodyon Sundayafternoon.

USG social chair Logan Roth ’15, whose committee made the decision to book the acts, said Schoolboy Q “pulls a crowd, and he’s good. He’s a great performer.”

The opener, Angel Haze, is a rapper and hip-hop artist from Detroit who has gained fame both for her recently released singles and for her covers of songs by other artists.

“Angel Haze, I thought, was especially interesting because first off, she’s an unconventional artist and I think that’s really cool and also, she’s a she,” Roth said. “She’s a female and I haven’t really seen a lot female talent [at Lawnparties,] and she’s awesome.”

“I didn’t know too many of their songs beforehand, but from what I’ve heard, I enjoy their music,” Jackson said.

Roth said that his committee’s goal when selecting the acts was to bring musical variety to campus.

“I wanted to get a variety of genres, a variety of different stuff because there’s no way that, in one concert, I can satisfy everyone,” he said.

spring Lawnparties

“I’m glad that we were able to provide diversity in the type of artists that we brought in the spring and in the fall,” Jackson said.

Aside from headliners, Roth and his committee have been working through the summer to organize different aspects of the Lawnparties festivities.

“We’re trying to get more activities and more things for people to do on the front lawns, so we’re going to try to bring out more games, more things for people to take photos next to, stuff like that,” Roth said.

charity component

Instead, he said he would rather have it be “more about raising awareness, having more of an issue than just a shirt.”

Lawnparties will take place onSept. 14.