News & Notes: Patton '77 finishes manuscript, anticipates spring release

Susan Patton '77 has finished the manuscript of her book, "Smarten Up!: Words of Wisdom from the Princeton Mom" and has sent the completed manuscript to her editor, she confirmed last week. Simon & Schuster announced this July that Patton's book would be published by its Gallery Books imprint.

The book deal came several months after Patton wrote a letter to the editor of The Daily Princetonian encouraging female students to find a Princetonian husband prior to graduation. Patton also discussed the contents of her letter at a lecture on campus after the it immediately garnered national attention.

Patton said in July that she hopes the book will continue the debate sparked by her letter. She noted that the book will contain a broader discussion that "goes beyond just talking about finding husbands on campus and getting married and planning to have babies."

The book will includedifferent sections that will speak directly to female college students, recent female graduates and more mature women, Patton said. She added that there might even be a section for young men. Mitchell Ivers ’77, vice president and senioreditor at Simon & Schuster, negotiated the deal and is editing the book.

Jennifer Robinson, director of publicity for Gallery Books, said the editor will edit the book and the publication date will be set shortly thereafter. The book is expected to be released in the spring of 2014.