As school year turns, Eisgruber ’83 now officially University president

Christopher Eisgruber ’83 officially replaced Shirley Tilghman as University president on Monday morning, a change in leadership that will likely guide the University through the next decade.

Eisgruber, whose promotion from provost wasannounced in mid-April, assumed his new post as part of a Nassau Hall transition that simultaneouslyelevated former Wilson School professor David Lee to Eisgruber’s old positionand Pablo Debenedetti tothe dean for research position. Debenedettireplaces A.J. Stewart Smith, who is now the vice president for the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. These top leadership changes marked the beginning of the 2013-14 school year and fiscal year 2014.

The University unveiled anew website for Eisgruberand updatedthe provost’s websiteto feature Leeon Monday.The Eisgruber site also announcedthe individuals who stand guard at 1 Nassau Hall,although the positions of speechwriter and executive assistant have not yet been announced. Tilghman speechwriter John Weeren hasan unspecified post at the Universitywithin the Human Resources department according to the University Directory,and Tilghman's executive assistant Christine Gage will remain at her side as an administrative assistant at the Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics.

Tilghman willtake a sabbaticalduring the coming school year, much of which she will spend at the Royal Society of London conducting research.

While much of Eisgruber’s team as he enters his presidency is already assembled, the position of executive vice president remains vacant following thedeparture of Mark Burstein, who also leftMondayto become president of Lawrence University in Wisconsin. Treby Williams ’84 iscurrently serving in that rolein an acting capacity, and Eisgruberhas saidthat he expects to make announcement for a permanent replacement in the fall.

Eisgruberhas saidhis priorities as University president will be expanding the school’s activity in online education and continuing to develop its international presence and brand. Hehas also saidhe expects to conduct a capital campaign at some point in his presidency.