USG extends social chair Wagstaff’s term by one semester

In 2001, the USG voted to move the election from the winter to spring. But at its Senate meeting Sunday night, the student government took the second of two votes necessary to revert back to its prior arrangement. At last week’s senate meeting, the amendment passed 18 to two, with one abstention. But because this is a constitutional change, moving the election requires two separate votes with a two-thirds majority. Sunday’s vote passed 18 to one, with two abstentions.

USG president Bruce Easop ’13 explained in an interview that fall Lawnparties will be planned more easily if the social chair is elected in the winter. Currently, Easop explained, USG social chairs enter a senate that has already been elected and have to immediately begin planning fall Lawnparties over the summer.

Easop noted that to account for this change in the schedule, the USG could either extend Wagstaff’s tenure by a semester now or hold an election for a three-semester term this spring. Easop said, however, that the second option would prevent the Class of 2016 from running for the position until their sophomore fall.

When asked if the USG was concerned that Wagstaff would now serve a three-semester term when he was elected last spring to serve only two, Easop noted that Wagstaff had been “democratically elected” and that an extension of Wagstaff’s term was preferable to a separate option of appointing a student to serve a single-semester appointment.

Earlier in the meeting, Dean of Undergraduate Students Kathleen Deignan fielded questions from Senate members and students on the recent ban on freshman rush. Deignan was joined by Vice President for Campus Life Cynthia Cherrey.

Deignan initially outlined the goals of the Committee on Freshmen Rush Policy, which released its recommendations last week. Its goals included articulating as clearly as possible what is prohibited, describing appropriate penalties and educating the community about the ban.

Deignan noted that the committee concentrated on formulating policies that could be enforced.

An unusually high number of students unaffiliated with the USG Senate attended the meeting. The students expressed concern about what will be considered prohibited behavior under the new ban. Deignan explained that Greek organizations are responsible for preventing freshmen from attending events that are explicitly Greek events.

Asked about what is considered a Greek event, Deignan said that “merely the presence of Greek members is not evidence that this is a sponsored activity,” explaining that administrators will investigate cases to determine sponsorship.

Deignan also explained that a Greek member merely talking to a freshman about their organization in “casual conversation” isn’t deemed an offense.

She said that the policy would be enforced the same way other campus policies are, explaining violations would be reported by Public Safety, students and parents, among other sources.

Deignan explained that the violation would not be treated less seriously just because it takes place at an event open to the entire campus, like a tailgate. Greek organizations are already prohibited from sponsoring events on campus property, she explained.

The USG also approved a number of new student organizations. Chair of the Student Group Recognition Committee Dylan Ackerman ’14 next presented on new student groups. The USG approved Umqombothi, an African-influenced a cappella group. The group has already had multiple arch sings and performed at “This is Princeton.”

The next group he discussed was the Princeton Sports Industry Club, which serves students interested in pursuing careers in sports and entertainment management. Ackerman noted the group is similar to the former sports business club, which got shut down after falling $9,000 in debt. The new group has a reorganized business plan, Ackerman explained.

The USG lastly recognized LGBTQJ, a Jewish LGBT group. There was no motion to reject any of these groups.

Next, Class of 2014 senator Dillon Sharp ’14 discussed a new outdoor fix-it-yourself bike rack, which supplies bike pumps, wrenches and other tools for students to fix bike parts. Sharp noted that the bike co-op at the CycLab currently faces too much demand.

Sharp added the structure would be weatherproof and might be installed by the end of the year.

Finally, Adi Rajagopalan ’13 discussed USG fitness classes. Rajagopalan explained that the USG is trying to make the fitness classes a more prominent social event, noting that a recent Friday night class had over 200 attendees. A motion to pass a new budget for the program passed unanimously.

Correction: Due to a reporting error, a previous version of this article misattributed a new USG bike project to U-Bikes. The USG bike rack will be a do-it-yourself system to allow students to fix their own bikes. The 'Prince' regrets the error.