Township promotes 5 officers

Princeton Township police promoted five officers in June in the second round of promotions since the department’s leadership was implicated in a corruption probe at the end of last year.

Two officers, JoAnne Malta and Frederick Williams, were promoted to sergeant and three officers, Marla Montague, Anthony Paccillo and Matthew Solovay, were promoted to corporal. In sum, the five officers have served the department for over 55 years. In April, the department promoted both Christopher Morgan and Robert Toole to lieutenant.

All of the newly promoted officers are parents and have accumulated a number of accolades for their service to the department.

Malta, who holds degrees in social work, psychology and education, is specially trained as a crisis negotiator, field training officer and bicycle patrol officer. She has served the department for more than 18 years.

Williams, a former military policeman in the U.S. Marine Corps, has received 17 letters of recommendation from within the department and 26 letters of recognition from community members during his 11 years of service.

Montague holds the distinction of first female firearm and submachine gun instructor at the department. In 2001, she received the department’s honorable service award for apprehending a burglary suspect.

Paccillo served six years with the Trenton police, including a stint with the Pro-Active Street Crime Narcotics Drug Enforcement Unit. Paccillo, who has served the department for nearly a decade, has multiple degrees in criminal justice.

Solovay is the recipient of the Mothers Against Drunk Driving Distinguished Service Award in 2009 and is a member of the police department’s honor guard. He also serves as the state delegate for the Policeman’s Benevolent Association local chapter.

The promotions come less than a year after the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office seized control of the department while it investigated alleged wrongdoing by then-Chief Mark Emann, then-Lieutenant Michael Henderson and then-Corporal Arthur Villaruz.

Emann pleaded not guilty to stealing a department-owned antique M-16 assault rifle, and all three left the department as a result of the investigation. The captain at the time, Robert Buchanan, was named chief earlier this year.