Williams to retire as development V.P.

University Vice President for Development Van Zandt Williams '65 announced his retirement this week following the conclusion last June of the record-setting Anniversary Campaign that raised approximately $1.14 billion for the University.

His announcement comes several months after President Shapiro made public his own decision to step down.

Williams, who has worked in his current capacity since 1980, said he would continue to work through the transition period under Shapiro's successor. He explained he chose to retire now because the new president will want to appoint his own administration.

"Institutions change, and it's a good time to leave," Williams said.

He said he was optimistic that Princeton would continue its fundraising success, calling it "an enterprise that is working very well. We want to just keep getting better and better."

Williams — who also worked under Shapiro's predecessor, President William Bowen — said he expects to retire "sometime at this point of next year."

"It's a great job. I've had a wonderful time," he said, adding, "I've been doing this for 21 years now."

University administrators praised Williams' fundraising successes and agreed he will be missed.

Shapiro noted the University's 250th anniversary campaign — which Williams managed — broke records, surpassing the $900 million goal.

"It will be very difficult to find someone who is as good as he is," Shapiro noted, calling Williams "greatly successful."

University Provost Jeremiah Ostriker expressed gratitude for Williams' achievements.

"Van Zandt Williams has made an outstanding contribution to Princeton in his years as vice president for development. Intelligence, dedication and organization: we are greatly indebted to him," Ostriker wrote in an e-mail.

Vice President and Secretary Thomas Wright '62 agreed, calling Williams' retirement a great loss.

"I'll miss him personally and the University will miss his help," Wright said.

Williams also oversaw the successful fundraising campaign from 1982 to 1986, "A Campaign for Princeton." The campaign raised $410 million for the University, exceeding the initial $275 million goal.

Before coming to work in Bowen's administration, Williams worked at Union Carbide after earning a Ph.D. in physical organic chemistry from Yale University in 1968.

Williams said he has no specific plans for his retirement other than continuing his involvement as a board member of McCarter Theatre, the Princeton Area Community Foundation and the Stony-Brook Millstone Watershed Association. He also advises the Trust for Public Land in New Jersey and the national advisory council for DeVry University.