Letters to the Editor

Race, gender committees will seek diverse viewpoints

It has been very exciting over the past few days to hear both in person and via e-mail just how important many undergraduates believe that my proposed initiatives on race and gender will be. And I have learned a great deal from the reactions that I have received to my proposals, all of which will be taken into account as the committees begin to take shape.

I would like, however, to take this opportunity to clarify what I consider to be a misunderstanding — or perhaps a miscommunication on my part — that was raised yesterday by Lillian Pierce '02.

My vision for these two committees is that they will spend the majority of their time conducting interviews with as many different people on campus as they can find. I want those who are interviewed to be those of whom Pierce spoke. My goal is and has been to hear from those "currently immersed in situations with the most insidious gender and racial implications." While the members of these two committees will be ultimately responsible for deciding who to interview, the fact the committees may be in part composed of "prominent members of the gender and racial discussion scene" will certainly not preclude them from seeking out the kinds of issues that I would most like to hear about — those least likely to be discussed on a regular basis. I am encouraging the committee chairs to actively seek input from those outside that "scene," and I hope that their reports will ultimately reflect that input.

This process is one in which I had envisioned doing the very thing that Pierce would like to see happen: to seek out opinions in "unlikely places." To do that most effectively, however, it may be necessary for those organizing this effort to be people who are and have been very close to these issues during their time here at Princeton. It is my most sincere hope that their efforts — and the efforts of all whom they seek out to interview — will help move forward the dialogue on race and gender at Princeton.

I encourage anyone and everyone interested in this initiative to continue to provide me with their thoughts and opinions on the matter. Joe Kochan '02 USG President