Gallaudet student confesses to murders of two classmates

Last Tuesday, Joseph Mesa, a 20-year-old Gallaudet University freshman, was arrested and charged with two counts of felony murder in connection with two separate murders in the past four-and-a-half months.

His arrest came 10 days after the body of former dorm-mate Benjamin Varner, a 19-year-old freshman, was found stabbed to death, according to a Gallaudet University press release.

Last September, Eric Plunkett — a freshman with cerebral palsy who also lived in the same dorm as Mesa — was found beaten to death. Mesa's arrest cleared Thomas Minch, another freshman, who had been arrested and charged with Plunkett's murder.

In a videotaped confession, Mesa told detectives that he killed the two freshmen because he needed money. After Mesa killed Varner, he wrote himself a check from Varner's account for $650 and cashed it the next day. He explained he chose Plunkett because Plunkett was vulnerable from his condition and lived alone.

Police reported they were led to Mesa by a trail of blood from Varner's room to Mesa's room. Detectives found bloody shoeprints in both rooms that matched the brand of shoes Mesa wore, according to The Washington Post.

Assistant U.S. Attorney J. Dennis Doyle, citing sufficient evidence, ordered Mesa be jailed until a Feb. 23 preliminary hearing.

Students who knew Mesa were stunned by his arrest, describing him as a person who kept to himself.

Mesa's arrest was met with mixed feelings of shock and relief on the Washington, D.C. campus.

In a letter to the campus community published on the school's Website, Gallaudet president I. King Jordan wrote, "We are happy to have some resolution in these cases. Still we are deeply saddened that a member of our community is charged with these crimes."

"Gallaudet University, despite the tragedies of the last few months, is a community of good and courageous people. We must come together and continue to support and look out for each other. This is an extraordinary time and it demands extraordinary effort."

A memorial service for Varner was held Friday with Plunkett's parents and Varner's parents in attendance. — MICHAEL STEIN