W. hoops looks for first win of season on North Carolina swing

It may be Christmastime, and this may be the season when wishes come true, but the women's basketball team is not just sitting around imagining its own version of dancing sugar plums — that tantalizing first win.

"We've been practicing more intensely and working harder," sophomore forward Lee Culp said. "We need to have confidence in ourselves and our ability to go out and win. We need to play as a team and believe in ourselves and each other."

However, after six games — and six losses — the team isn't exactly where it thought it would be at this point in the season. Almost a month after the season opener against Lehigh, the underclassmen-dominated team is no longer unfamiliar with college athletics or Princeton plays.

Out of the flow

"At first we didn't have the flow of the offense," junior guard Lauren Rigney said. "It's very complex and it takes a while to find the rhythm, but we've been working on the details."

Yet the Tigers' hard work has not helped them attain that most important of all wishes. This year the team only wants one thing.

"We need a win," Rigney said. "We'll be a lot better after that."

During break, the Tigers (0-6) will travel to North Carolina and then back to Princeton for five games — and five chances to pull everything together. Since only one of the teams Princeton is competing against has a winning record, this could be a turning point for the Tigers.

They kick the trip off tomorrow when they journey to North Carolina to play Elon College on Saturday. The only two wins for the Phoenix (2-5) so far this season came during the Triad Classic. Elon was the Triad Champion after beating Jacksonville, 61-44, and Morehead State, 85-72. Guard Loretta Lawson will be the biggest obstacle for the Tigers. Lawson was the team's leading scorer against both Jacksonville and Morehead.

Two days later, Princeton will take on High Point. The Panthers (4-5), having just dealt a devastating blow to Montreat College, 75-39, may be at their season's high point. However, High Point went 0-2 in the Triad Classic, losing to both Jacksonville and Morehead by 13 and 19 points, respectively.

Dubya

Princeton has the potential to turn both these games into marks in the "W" column. The team will need the confidence of a few wins to handle the stronger UNC-Wilmington team Dec. 21. The Seahawks (5-1) have the potential to play Grinch in the midst of the Tigers' holiday celebration.

The only survivor of that team's carnage was Indiana State, whom UNC-W played in its second game of the season. The Seahawks lost to ISU by 10 points, 67-57, but since then have rebounded to go on a four-game winning streak at the expense of St. Bonaventure, Elon, UT-Martin and Western Carolina.

However, none of these games was won by more than a seven-point margin, including the Elon and Martin victories, both of which were within three. A decisive win at the beginning of the trip over Elon could give the Tigers the confidence to shut down UNC-W and take advantage of the Seahawks' tendency to keep the scores close.

Forward Shameka Montgomery, the top scorer in three of the team's six games, will pose the biggest threat for Princeton.

Princeton will then have 10 days to rest until its next game back in Princeton Dec. 31 against Providence. The Friars (4-4 overall, 0-1 Big East) started the season with a three-game winning streak, but have fallen a long way since then, losing most recently to Seton Hall in their Big East opener.

The Tigers wind up their play over the break with a game against Navy Jan. 5. The Midshipmen are currently 2-6.

The Tigers have put in the time and have the determination. Wins early in the trip could give Princeton the momentum to turn its season around.

"We do have the talent," Culp said.

Princeton looks to capitalize on this talent and all the hours they've put into practice — and to do so soon.