Dickerson to re-examine role of fraternities in campus life

Vice President for Campus Life Janet Dickerson said yesterday that she is planning to engage leaders of campus fraternities in a dialogue during the coming months to discuss their role at the University.

"I'm acknowledging their presence on campus because I said I would like to talk with students from those groups," she said, adding, "I'm in the investigative period right now."

Dickerson's announcement marks a departure from the administration's usual policy on fraternities, which the University has not officially recognized since the mid-19th century.

But Dickerson said she believes University administrators should gain a better understanding of the fraternity system. "After spending time working at Duke, I guess I have a different idea of the fraternity's role on campus," she said.

The University's decision not to recognize fraternities was made in 1855. At the request of former University president John Maclean 1816, the trustees and the American Whig and Cliosophic Society adopted a resolution requiring students to sign a pledge that they would not join fraternities.

In 1983, the board of trustees passed a resolution that reads, "Resolved, that the longstanding tradition of Princeton opposing the formation of local chapters of national 'Greek Letter' social fraternities and sororities has served the University well, and is reaffirmed as a sound policy for this institution; accordingly such organizations will continue to be ineligible for University recognition." However, the University no longer prohibited students from joining fraternities or sororities.

Though Dickerson emphasized that an immediate change to the policy of non-recognition is not likely, she said she has not ruled out such a move.

"I can't say I will pursue it, but I will be seeking to learn more about what's going on," she said. "I would rather that [fraternities] are not complete shadow operations, but I don't know if [official recognition] will be on the horizon."

Though University administrators do not officially recognize fraternities as campus organizations, the board of trustees has consulted fraternity leaders in recent years on campus issues such as the alcohol initiative.

Fraternity members said yesterday they are excited and somewhat surprised about the possibility of talking with Dickerson about the fraternity system.

"I think it's important to discuss fraternities with the administration," said Tommy Dewey '01, president of Princeton's chapter of Kappa Alpha Order. "Though this could lead to restrictions and guidelines about safety — of course we already impose our own rules to make things safe — it could also have some important benefits."

David Wynne '01, KA's vice president, said, "I think if the University takes the time to talk with us, they will see all the good we offer campus, like service projects and forging relationships between underclassmen and upperclassmen."

Nevertheless, Dewey noted that University recognition could have negative effects. "It's two-sided. University recognition would probably help more students join fraternities," he said. "On the flip side, it would be tougher to work within University regulations."