With experienced seniors, sprint football looks ahead

The Princeton sports headlines have been dominated by change recently. New coaches in football, softball and on both the men's and women's basketball teams have changed the face of Tiger sports in ways yet unseen. With Keith Wads-worth preparing for his first season at the helm, sprint football could easily fall into the same group.

But not so fast.

This year's sprint football team plans on filling headlines with familiar names — relying on an experienced lineup.

"We boast a lot of experience this year," senior left guard Ike Himowitz said.

That may be one of the biggest understatements of the year. The Tigers return 12 seniors, four of whom are four-year starters. The veterans, however, are looking forward to a radically different type of team — and hopefully season — from the one they experienced last year.

Mixed bag

"Our offense is a mix of 'four yards and a cloud of dust' and speedy receivers who can get downfield," Himowitz said. "Our passing game is going to be something to be feared."

..."We hope to establish a passing game with our running," Wads-worth said. "The offense was our main concern from last year." Wadsworth added that the team plans to run a lot of play-action passes to open up some downfield plays.

One prospective target for the new-look Tiger offense will be senior wide receiver Ki Moon, who led Princeton in receiving yardage last season.

"Ki is one of the fastest guys in the league," Himowitz said.

The key to Princeton's success on the field will depend, in large part, on how well the new style of head coach Keith Wadsworth is executed by the experienced roster.

"Coach Wadsworth has taken over where [former head coach Bob] Dipipi left off, but he's also added his own style," Himowitz said. "People are excited about it."

Brother against brother

Wadsworth and his assistants have introduced a competitive tone in practice, pitting the offense against the defense. Some of the players feel this will make the Tigers more aggressive against the physical teams in the Collegiate Sprint Football League.

"In the past, teams like Army and Navy have physically dominated us," Himowitz said.

"We have an advantage that we haven't had in the past — our size and strength," Wadsworth said.

That potential advantage has come as a result of considerable work and the discipline of the team. Preseason workouts were held three times per week with a run in the morning and a weight-lifting session in the afternoon.

"Pride and determination are going to be the keys to our success this year," Wadsworth said.

Coming off a 1999 season in which Princeton went 1-5 overall and winless (0-4) in the CSFL, a more aggressive style on both sides of the ball is only one reason the Tigers could be more successful this year.

While the team will be led by the seniors, who account for more than one-third of the entire roster, several underclassmen will have an impact on Princeton's hunt for the Robert Cullen Trophy — given each year to the CSFL champion.

Sophomore Rikki Racela, who saw considerable time at tailback last year, is making the switch to fullback for this season.

Paving the way for Racela and junior running back Ryan Goudge will be sophomore center Tim DiIorio. The success of the new offense will rest on the shoulders of Himowitz, DiIorio and the rest of the offensive line.

Like the offense, the Tiger defense heads into this season largely intact, including the entire secondary. Senior cornerback David Mordkoff led the team last year in interceptions.

One Tiger went so far as to say that the team had its "best preseason ever," ending with a 24-12 win in the alumni game last Sunday. Princeton faces its first regular season test tonight, when it travels to Ithaca, N.Y., to play Cornell.