Matson takes reins for field hockey

For the first two years of Hilary Matson's Princeton field hockey career, she found herself in the company of some of the greatest players in the country. Kirsty Hale '99, Molly O'Malley '99 and a host of others brought the Tiger program to new national heights.

The speedy attack — who set New York state records in track and field in high school — burst into the lineup, watching and learning along the way. In 1998, Matson and the Tigers advanced all the way to the NCAA championship game, losing to Old Dominion, 3-1.

Last year, without the guidance of the Class of 1999, Princeton failed to make the NCAA tournament. Now Matson is one of the Tigers' goto players, a leader on the team and hopes to be to her younger teammates what the Class of 1999 was to her.

"We had such great leaders in the past. We were just the role players [then]," Matson said. "Now, our class and myself have become the leaders on the team. I think my role on the team is not so much the person yelling, but leading by example."

Given the freshness of last year's disappointment, few reminders should be necessary. Last season did not have the same fairy-tale aura of 1998 and these memories consequently have served to motivate this year's team.

"Last season was a little disappointing just because we had two good seasons before then," Matson said.

"Looking at it and learning from it, we've taken a lot of steps in our spring and our summer training," she added. "We're using it as a stepping stone to learn from last year. We have great expectations for the season."

Throughout her career, Matson has always contributed statistically. She has used her blistering speed and stick control to propel the offense. This year, as a senior, her leadership is quietly helping to solidify a young but developing team.

Her teammates have appreciated all the goals and the assists, certainly, but when it comes to inspiration, the true currency is blood and sweat.

"She doesn't really lead too much vocally, but by always working hard," senior attack Melanie Meerschwam said. "That is very important; some leaders just talk a lot."

Indeed, this work ethic becomes contagious.

"It's hard not to work hard when you see her," head coach Beth Bozman said. "She never stops working — always encouraging people to work harder."

Helping the team's bid to reestablish its place among the nation's best is the growing synergy between the Tigers' younger and more experienced players.

"We were a tight-knit group this spring [and] the freshmen have really gelled. Everyone's working for each other," Matson said.

But while it will require a total team effort to return to the NCAA tournament, the Tigers will still need a leader they can follow in times of difficulty — and Matson appears more than ready to assume that role.

"She's the player that other teams really fear because you can't stay with her," Bozman said. "She's fun to watch. She'll bring the fans to their feet."