Time flies, and seniors begin next adventure

Teeming with robe-adorned faculty, camera-toting parents and students anticipating their first walk through FitzRandolph Gate, the lawn in front of Nassau Hall was the site of Princeton's 253rd Commencement on May 30. The University conferred 1,730 bachelor and advanced degrees, in addition to five honorary degrees.

In his valedictory address, Andrew Houck '00 likened the ancient trees in front of Nassau Hall and younger trees across campus to the Class of 2000. "I would encourage all of us not to spend our entire lives lounging in our ancestors' shade," Houck said, "but to venture out in the sun ourselves, ensuring a well-shaded future for the comfort of those to come."

Kenneth Shaitelman '00 gave the salutatory oration in Latin, a tradition dating back to 1748. "From start to finish, we have walked along a difficult, yet thrilling, path," he said, referring to experiences ranging from Outdoor Action to this year's bout with Hurricane Floyd. "Good heavens! Time does fly."

Two days earlier, Baccalaureate speaker Queen Noor of Jordan — formerly Lisa Halaby '73 — encouraged the Class of 2000 to apply its knowledge and talents to serving others.

Queen Noor referred to her late husband, King Hussein, as a "supreme example" of one who adhered to his ideals as he promoted world peace. "I urge you to balance a successful career with service to a larger world," she said. "Harness energy, enthusiasm and alternative thinking in the service of others."

During Class Day, Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Students Thomas Dunne and Larry Dupraz, a long-time adviser to the staff of The Daily Princetonian, were recognized as honorary members of the Class of 2000.

At Commencement, the University recognized English professor Oliver Arnold, history professor Peter Brown, politics professor and director of the Center for Human Values Amy Gutmann and sociology professor Howard Taylor for outstanding service to students.

During his speech, President Shapiro urged the Class of 2000 to strive to be ethically responsible in a rapidly changing world. "I hope your experience at Princeton not only helped you gain knowledge," he said, "but prepared you to eagerly confront, consider and debate the momentous moral and ethical questions that accompany the flood of new knowledge."