Letters to the Editor

Stephens' honor code lessons for Arizona are more elitist than educational

Josh Stephens '97's "More than just a pledge" column in the May 1 edition of the Daily Princetonian bothered me. The editorial was steeped in some of the elitist and detached rhetoric I was so afraid I would find at Princeton when I faced the college-decision process as a high school senior. Presumably, Stephens was able to offer the University of Arizona much more than "a surfeit of stale, inadequate pedagogy" through high decorum in the form of "the f-word" and the presumptuous pomp to inform students that they "were too smart for Arizona and should apply to Duke."

Brilliant minds and world contributors are not all borne out of the Ivy League, and certainly not out of Duke. All kidding aside, however, my hope is that Stephens has not left the same indelible impression of Princeton on the University of Arizona and its people that they have apparently left on him. I believe that an education is only as valuable as the effort put forth by the student, and I will sheepishly admit that my own effort at Princeton was no doubt surpassed, James aside, by a great many at the University of Arizona, who probably extracted greater pure academic value out of college than I did.

I am quite sure however, that my peers, professors and others offered me a deep "education in Princeton values." The Princeton I came to know in four fabulous years led me to fully question and explore issues and decisions, as I tried hard not to employ arbitrary mechanisms to arrive at answers or justify solutions. And what I missed in books at Princeton was far surpassed by my education in people and experience, which contributed to my view of "honor" far more than signing and adhering to "the pledge" ever did.

I suppose my real concern lies in the punitive ("my resolve to throw the book at him") and hands-cleaning finality with which Stephens presents his delivery of the "F" to James. I hope this was not what the forefathers of Princeton intended the honor code to support, because in a very un-Princeton-like manner, the fuller problem was ignored. James and Stephens' teaching career both would be better served by examining circumstance and addressing core problems, which I fail to believe include James' view "that nobody punishes kids who cheat." The greater danger to all of us is failing to provide the skills, environment and encouragement to ensure that our kids do not want to cheat. This is the Princeton I would have preferred that Stephens share with the University of Arizona. Andy Baumbusch '96