Officials diverge on Millstone Bypass

Heated discussion of plans for the Millstone Bypass — a proposed 2.3-mile two-lane alternate road to U.S. Route 1 — has entered the fast lane as the release of an environmental assessment of the proposal nears.

The New Jersey Department of Transportation has said it will announce the findings of its assessment in early May, according to Princeton Borough Council member Wendy Benchley, who opposes the planned bypass. The assessment, which analyzes the environmental effects of the highway, began a year ago.

Benchley said because the NJDOT is not required to hold a public hearing as part of the environmental assessment, the public's opinions have not been sufficiently considered. "That's what we're looking for. We've never had the kind of detailed exploration and analysis of alignments," she said. "They haven't looked at them in any way we feel is adequate."

But Carole Carson, West Windsor mayor and a supporter of the bypass plan, said several engineering and planning groups have looked at the options. "This is the only feasible alternative," she said. "We've been studying options for ten years. Now we need to build the road."

Carson said that safety is the most important reason for building the bypass. "We need some way to get emergency vehicles across Route 1" from West Windsor to Princeton Medical Center, she said.

"If we're stuck with just Alexander Road, from Alexander to Harrison streets, someone could have a heart attack before they got there," she said. "We would have no access. We need to open access."

Carson said the bypass also would improve business in the area. "It's good for business because you're talking about freeing up traffic through the U.S. 1," she said. Businesses "are not going to bring people here if they find out they can't get back and forth."

Environmental concerns

Because the proposed roadway runs through 25 acres of woodlands along the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park, several environmental groups in the area have been up in arms about the proposed plan. In an effort to protect the Washington Road Elm Allée and the Lake Carnegie Historic District, as well as other historic sites, Princeton area residents already have raised $5,000 to prevent the bypass' construction.

"We're concerned about the road's impact on the D&R Canal and the whole area there," explained Jeff Tittel, director of the New Jersey Sierra Club. "We've got numerous concerns on the road because of it being so close to this park, which is such a great greenway."

The D&R Canal is an important source of drinking water and recreation, Tittel said, adding that the bypass will bring more sprawl, development, pollution and noise without solving traffic problems.

Benchley added that existing plans to conceal the road would be inadequate. "It makes absolutely no sense to bring all of this traffic in and have it run right next to the D&R Canal," she said.

"It doesn't matter how many fake mountains they build to try to block it. You're still going to hear the noise, smell the fumes and see the lights flashing," she added.

Benchley also said she disagrees with the University's support of the current bypass plan because it will interfere with the historic entrance to Princeton along Washington Road.

"People love it, it's a beautiful way to come into the University and the town," she said. "We believe [University officials] should reconsider their position, and they should really look at the larger issues."