Eritrean president defends nation, seeks peace with Ethiopia

Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki sees himself as a crusader for peace.

Despite an ongoing 22-month war with neighboring Ethiopia, the passionate leader is cool and confident, even while discussing the deaths of thousands of his countrymen. He maintains his country's innocence and is adamant about the culpability of the Ethiopian government.

Isaias discussed his country's fight for freedom as well as issues relating to peace and economic growth in Africa during a speech Monday in McCosh 50 and during an interview following the talk.

While speaking on the future of the African horn — the region including his own country, Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan — Isaias seemed more like a Western professor than the man who has led his country's independence movement for the past three decades.

The president said he believes ethnic and cultural hostility are major causes of conflict in the African horn. "The 40-year civil war in Sudan is rooted in intolerance," he said.

He noted, however, that cultivating cultural tolerance is not "sufficient on its own to get national stability. We need spreading out of political and economic power as well."

Speaking in a heavy accent tinged with British influence, Isaias underscored the importance of stability in the region as a "prerequisite to development."

In an interview at Prospect House, Isaias appeared more laid back than he had been during his speech. Even as he mingled with University officials and local supporters — his eyes staring off without emotion — he continued to emphasize the critical need for economic development in Eritrea and the rest of the African horn.

Discussing the detrimental economic consequences of the border war, he noted that "efforts to boost the economy have been hampered by the conflict. Once it is ended, we will be able to refocus our resources on domestic development programs as well as economic programs with countries in the region."

Fighting with Ethiopia began in May 1998 when Eritrean soldiers moved into an area known as the Plains of Badme, according to Isaias. The conflict has escalated since then, with forces from Eritrea and Ethiopia battling to defend sections of the 620-mile border.

In his speech, Isaias called the war a "senseless conflict." He maintained that the causes of the fighting were boundary violations by the Ethiopian government.

In an effort to halt the conflict, the Organization of African Unity has outlined a peace package that Isaias said he has accepted. Talks have stalled, he said, because Ethiopia rejected the deal.

"Ethiopian authorities are not prepared for peace," Isaias said. "They don't want to see demarcation because they don't have a legitimate case."

Though the negotiations have failed thus far, Isaias said he is hopeful an end to fighting is near. "Growing opposition to the war in Ethiopia, coupled with international pressure to end the war, may convince Ethiopia to turn away from the perilous path of war," he said.

Isaias expanded on his discussion of the OAU treaty during the interview. He explained that there are several proposals in the plan, including a cease-fire between Ethiopia and Eritrea, a deployment of peace forces from the international community and the creation of a demarcation team to settle border disputes between the two sides.

"We have to continue to work on this document," he said.

During the question-and-answer session, Isaias touched on the famine in Ethiopia that has left 12 million people on the brink of starvation. He said that despite the breakdown in peace talks, he will allow his country's Red Sea ports to be used to ship international aid to its struggling neighbor.

"It's a moral responsibility of the people and government of Eritrea," he said. "It's also the responsibility of the international community, before it's too late."

While discussing the resolution of his country's conflict with Ethiopia, he blamed the neighboring government for using the media to propagate lies about the war. "The other side has used the media to spread hate," he said. "It's hate politics. It's poisoning everything."

At the end of the speech, the president gazed into the audience, gesturing to emphasize his point. "We have nothing to hide, we have a case to make, and we don't need to use weapons to make our case," he said.