Public Safety investigates Forbes fires

Public Safety is conducting an investigation of four small fires set in the Forbes College Main Inn during the past month, according to Crime Prevention Specialist Barry Weiser.

"We know it's vandalism — someone walking past and lighting a flier or a poster," Weiser said. "They are certainly University students, not an outside group," he added.

According to Weiser, four fliers have been "torched" within the last month: one on a wall outside the second-floor kitchen; one on a column outside the north-side entrance; and two in the main-floor lobby, on a bulletin board and an easel.

Forbes Director of Studies John Hodgson sent an e-mail Tuesday to students in the college, asking them to come forward with information about the incidents.

"Any time you have a fire, especially after the Seton Hall tragedy, you want to treat it seriously," Hodgson said. "This is such a cohesive community, I think people will care about doing the best they can to take care of the building."

Weiser said the the main inn is under surveillance. "We have a patrol car in the area," he said. "They're going to be keeping an eye out for this type of activity."

"Setting a fire is a criminal offense," Weiser said, adding that if the person responsible for the prank is caught, "the person will be arrested, either by Borough Police or by us."