Proposed smoking ban sparks debate

The hotly debated proposal for a smoking ban in Princeton Borough and Princeton Township has provoked the New Jersey License Beverage Association to threaten a lawsuit against the Princeton Regional Health Commission. Supporters and opponents of the proposed ordinance will clash tonight at a public hearing in Borough Hall.

The ordinance — which was presented by the health commission in February — would ban smoking everywhere in Princeton except outdoors and in homes, cars, private clubs and cigar shops.

The health commission will decide at tonight's meeting whether to pass the ordinance or wait until a later date, according to regional health officer Bill Hinshillwood.

William Cleary, executive director of the New Jersey License Beverage Association, said he did not believe the health commission has been receptive to criticism about the ordinance. He added that he did not expect the commission's position on the issue could be changed during tonight's meeting.

"The health commission will sit up there at their table with their arms folded and listen to the testimony," he said. "They probably wouldn't even have the one public hearing if they weren't forced to do so."

"Anyone else's opinion isn't warranted in their view," he added.

Cleary said he would not explain the details of the lawsuit his organization is threatening until the commission makes a final decision on the ordinance. "We don't know the final form that the ordinance is going to take," he said.

Health risks

Bill Thompsen, New Jersey director of public advocacy for the American Heart Association, said he was surprised the beverage license association was not considering the public health risk of secondhand smoke. "They are concerned more about dollars," he said. The American Heart Association and several other organizations making up New Jersey Breathes — a coalition against smoking — will help fund the legal defense for the town if a lawsuit is filed, Thompsen said.

"We're very much in favor of [the ordinance] for the public health, not only for the patrons in Princeton but also for the employees," he said. "If you think back to when they said asbestos was bad, people were quick to get it out of the way. People are fighting to get [secondhand smoke] out of the air. The public is ready to say enough is enough."

"Members of the health commission didn't believe there was adequate protection of the public if we didn't include the taverns," Hinshillwood said. "Other states and cities such as New York have enacted ordinances prohibiting smoking in restaurants. The commission thought it would be appropriate to bring [these ordinances] to New Jersey."

Several other New Jersey towns have smoking restrictions, but none ban smoking in bars and taverns, according to Hinshillwood. "Other communities who might be interested to create a similar ordinance are watching to see what happens," he said.

The potential ban has upset several local restaurant and bar owners who fear the ordinance will hurt their businesses. Cleary said the commission failed to communicate with restaurants and bars about the proposal.

"They determined that secondary smoke was a problem and they set their conclusion first and then researched everything that would support their conclusion. They didn't look at the effect on bars and restaurants," he said. "That's not research."

Cleary said the ban would eliminate dining options for those who want to smoke. "No one is forced into any restaurant and no one is forced to stay in any restaurant," he said. "With the ban, there will be no choices left. What are they going to do next? Say that the hamburgers have fat so you can't eat them anymore?"

The proposed smoking ban could apply to the eating clubs if they are deemed public facilities. But the ban could also affect University students in other ways. "People that want to smoke might get in the cars and head to Route 1," which would increase the risk of accidents from drunk driving, Cleary said.

"That's what happens when the government interferes in personal choice," he added.