Future grows shady for Washington Road elms

The Washington Road elm trees — which have ushered generations of drivers into Princeton Borough beneath a bough-supported cathedral of branches and foliage — were listed recently by Preservation New Jersey, Inc., as one of the state's 10 most endangered historic sites.

Construction plans for the Millstone Bypass — a proposed alternate road to U.S. Route 1 — have put the trees at risk, according to Susanne Hand, president of Preservation New Jersey, Inc. The elms, known as the Washington Road Elm Allée, have also been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1998.

"One estimate has mentioned that approximately 15 trees would be eliminated," Hand said, explaining that the bypass would intersect with Washington Road at the site of the elm allée.

John Dourgarian, a spokesman for the New Jersey Department of Transportation, said the fate of the trees would not be decided for several years. "We are in the process of completing an environmental assessment. It's premature to comment on the impact before the assessment is completed," he explained. "This project is at least three years away from construction. There will be ample opportunity for discussion in which minor changes could reduce the number of trees affected."

But Hand argued that the beauty of the site would be diminished by the road, regardless of how many trees are cut down.

"These trees are a historic, scenic entrance into Princeton University, Princeton Borough and Township," she said. "You wouldn't be able to drive straight through. It would change the experience of driving down the road."

"These elms are particularly graceful trees creating a leafy canopy over the road. It's quite magnificent." she added. "It's the only road in central New Jersey that I don't mind being stuck in traffic on."

Traffic, however, is at the root of the Millstone Bypass issue. Construction of the bypass would allow the removal of three traffic lights on Route 1 to reduce traffic congestion.

"We recognize that there are traffic problems that must be solved," Hand said.

She said the DOT should subject the plan for the bypass to an Environmental Impact Statement — which would lead to "a more full investigation of the alternatives, including alternatives less damaging to historic resources." An EIS would be conducted by the state's Department of Environmental Protection.

According to Dourgarian, the DOT is now conducting an environmental assessment which will be completed in May. It will determine whether an EIS is warranted.

"Preservation is a good thing but sometimes there's a crucial transportation crisis in the area. It's up to DOT to decide what will have the least amount of impact," said University director of community and state affairs Pam Hersh. "There have to be compromises."

The trees in the Washington Road Elm Allée are Princeton Elms, a variation on the American Elm. The Princeton Elm has proven resistant to the Dutch Elm disease, which has plagued elms in this area, said Zack Baxter, a Sales and Marketing manager at Princeton Nurseries.

The trees were planted in 1925, and their resistance to the disease makes them extremely special, Hand said. "There used to be thousands of these allées," she noted. "Over 100 million elms have succumbed to Dutch Elm disease. These have survived."