'Carpe diem': Senior takes a road trip to 'Dead Poets' school

Upperclassmen frequently complain that after four years, the 'Street' is stale and that Saturday nights at Princeton are boring. After struggling with this boredom, many discover the one sure cure: Road trip!

And Jon Kent-Uritam '00 certainly had a unique destination in mind when he got in his car at midnight the Saturday before midterms.

"I had always wanted to see the school [where Dead Poets Society was filmed], so I decided to drive down and try to find it," Kent-Uritam said. "I really love Dead Poets Society. I once saw it three times in one day."

Kent-Uritam said he knew the school, St. Andrew's, was in Delaware, but was not sure of its exact location.

"I'm from Dover, Mass., so I decided I would go to Dover, Del." he said. "I didn't think I'd find it, but I saw signs along the way."

Unfortunately for Kent-Uritam, there was nowhere to park near the school once he finally found it after 2 a.m., he said, and he had to park more than a mile away.

"I kind of just roamed the campus for a while," he said. "I only saw one security car, but I made sure I avoided it."

Kent-Uritam said his original intent was to see a movie, but his plans eventually changed. "I don't like the 'Street' very much, and I was sick of watching movies," he said. "Boredom was definitely the motivation there."

Kent-Uritam said he arrived back in Princeton around 5 a.m. after his solo voyage to the school.

"Road trips are nice," he said. "But not many people were up for one at midnight."