Burke '91 defends Air Force officer in vaccination controversy

In recent months, controversy has arisen over the U.S. military's requirement that its 2.4 million servicemen and women receive an anthrax vaccine, and one Princeton alumnus has found himself in the midst of the debate.

Defense Counsel Captain Bill Burke '91, a former Princeton ROTC cadet and Wilson School major, is representing U.S. Air Force Major Sonnie Bates, who now may face a court-martial because he refused to take the vaccine.

Burke said, "after a clean record of exemplary service for 14 years," Bates has viable reasons for his refusal to be administered the vaccine, which U.S. officials say could save the serviceman's life if he were exposed to an attack by biological weapons.

Anthrax has become a concern for the U.S. military because of both its availability and effectiveness as a biological weapon.

"Anthrax is dangerous because it is highly lethal, one of the easiest biological agents to manufacture and it can easily spread in the air," according to the official Department of Defense Anthrax Information Website.

Bates is the highest-ranking officer to defy the mandatory vaccination orders. However, while 300 officers have refused the series of six shots thus far, Bates is the only one faced with a potential court-martial. Others have simply been discharged, Burke said.

Side effects

According to Burke, Bates has numerous reasons to be wary of the vaccine. For example, Dover Air Force base, where Bates is stationed, has experienced the most reported incidents of negative side effects from the vaccine.

"After servicemen had been administered the anthrax vaccine there had been numerous cases of joint aches, vertigo, illnesses and a variety of symptoms for which the medical community cannot answer for," Burke said.

Burke also cited Bates' personal health and family concerns as reasons he is refusing to take the vaccine. "[Bates] is a father of three, one of whom is a seven-year-old autistic son, whom he wants to care for," Burke said.

According to Burke, Bates' family history also contributed to his decision to refuse the vaccine. "Bates has received an opinion of an expert who advised him that he might have a genetic predisposition to have adverse effects to this vaccination," he said.

However, "the Air Force ignored the opinion of [Bates'] doctor, canceled the resignation that Bates submitted on Oct. 19, 1999 and chose to court-martial him instead," Burke added. "Until the Department of Defense can show [Bates] scientific evidence as to the vaccine's safety, he will not take the vaccine because nobody has any proof about the safety of the vaccine in the long term."

Bates' decision might have been different if the country was not at peace. "He would not question this order if it was a time of war. If he suffered any health effects, he would consider himself a casualty of war," Burke said.

Princeton cadets

Major Randy Newton, the assistant professor of military science at the University ROTC Armory, said he agrees with the stance taken by the defense department. "Those who have been appointed should follow the rules of leadership positions," he said.

He explained that University ROTC cadets will not receive the vaccine until after graduation.

"If, and when, the cadets obtain commission and their [University] diploma and arrive at their units, they will receive the vaccine," Newton said. "ROTC cadets still in college will not have to take the vaccine because the cadets who begin in the program may not complete all four years."