International students face a difficult choice in deciding to attend Princeton

Though they come from vastly different backgrounds, international students often decide to study in the United States for the same reason: opportunity.

High school students in Cyprus, for instance, are attracted by the booming American economy, according to Eleni Constantinou '00, former president of International Students at Princeton.

"The United States is the only place international students can get jobs after school," she said. "In the U.K., you have to go back home after school." She added that working research papers are difficult to obtain in many European countries.

Stoyan Hadjivaltchev, a Bulgarian freshman, echoed Constantinou's remarks. "There's a sense of hopelessness in Eastern European reality," he said. "Students [there] are disappointed. They don't know the reason they go to school because they probably will end up being unemployed anyway. Instead, Princeton can be a propeller to jobs."

At the same time, many foreign students say that studying at an American college offers them an excellent liberal arts education, which emphasizes exposure to a variety of topics, rather than the early concentration that many European schools require.

"I was thinking of majoring in economics or getting an MBA, and the United States is on the cutting edge in this," said Hadjivaltchev, who visited numerous East Coast schools while interning at IBM in New York two summers ago. "Generally the competitive colleges in the United States are better than the mass universities in Europe where you're just a number."

In Asia, more teenagers are opting to study in America, according to Sandra Ho, a junior from Singapore in the Wilson School.

"A lot is to be said about America's liberal arts education," she said. "You get to dabble around with things you wouldn't ordinarily be doing."

Constantinou agreed. "Especially in countries like Cyprus, it is almost impossible to major in subjects like history," she said. "You have to have a degree in finance, science or math because you have more opportunities back home with those degrees."

"American professional culture is more open to different majors. In Iceland, everyone becomes engineers," economics major Jon Steinsson '00 said.

The adjustment

For international students, however, coming to the United States to study often entails sacrificing a familiar setting for an education in a foreign country.

"In general Princeton is a very welcoming place, but many foreign freshmen are often surprised by the lack of curiosity about them from their classmates," said Associate Dean of Undergraduate Students Marianne Waterbury, who works closely with international student groups.

"They come here with great expectations given Princeton's academic reputation, but are surprised that their classmates appear to be more interested in alcohol and partying than in learning about another part of the world," she continued. "Eventually, they do adjust and make many very good U.S. friends."

Princetonians need to reach out to foreign students especially during vacations when international students can not afford to go home, Waterbury said.

Many students echoed Waterbury's sentiments.

Mandisodza, who has not been home since leaving for Princeton, said international students have to look within themselves when homesickness hits.

"I was sort of alone freshman year," she said. "It was pretty bleak, but I've learned to adjust and create my own life. I get homesick, but it never is serious because I know it is the best thing for myself."

Still, the adjustment period is not difficult for everyone, and many international students enjoy the social setting at the University.

"I have a lot of American friends. It is very important for international students to immerse themselves with the American part of Princeton too," Hadjivaltchev explained. "To make U.S. friends, you have to put in the effort, but it's not a problem."

Homogenous culture?

Even so, many foreign students are frustrated by what they perceive as a lack of diversity at Princeton as compared to other selective schools. For example, undergraduate international students at Princeton make up only five percent of the student body, while 8.5 percent of Harvard University's undergraduate population is international.

"We need more diversity, even in the faculty," Mandisodza said. "This isn't a university that caters to an international population at all, like Harvard."

In addition, the lack of diversity and scholarship funding to cover tuition costs frightens foreign applicants, many international students said.

Hashim Dabbagh '01, last year's ISAP president, agreed.

"Princeton doesn't target a large international constituent," he said. "Most students are pretty scared off from this place because they know there aren't many international students. Other schools are more dedicated to international students."

Worth the cost?

Dabbagh said Princeton has not committed sufficient financial resources to luring international students. He noted that the University only became need blind for international students with the Class of 2003.

Constantinou agreed. "Tuition is certainly an issue," she said. "You can't work off campus or get loans available to only citizens. . . . With $200, for example, one can live well in places like Bosnia, but not here."

Some foreign students such as Ho and Dabbagh are on full scholarships offered by their countries. In exchange for the scholarship money, they had to agree to work for either the government or a government-owned organization for a certain number of years after graduation.

After finishing his degree in Operations Research and Financial Engineering, Dabbagh said he must work for five years with a Saudi Arabian-owned oil company.

Likewise, Ho, a Wilson School major, must work for eight years in Singapore's government.

"If it was up to me, I would have majored in history," Dabbagh said. "But my scholarship is to get a respectable engineering degree from the U.S. or U.K, preferably from the U.S."

Nevertheless, despite the high tuition costs and the unfamiliar setting in a new country, international students continue to make the journey to the United States for a college degree.