Eggleston '42, Tien GS '59 win highest alumni honors

Former U.S. Navy physician Forrest Eggleston '42 and engineering professor Chang Lin Tien GS '59 have been selected to receive the Woodrow Wilson Award and Madison Medal, respectively, on Alumni Day.

The Woodrow Wilson Award is presented to a former undergraduate in recognition of service to the nation. Eggleston's experiences include years of service in the U.S. Navy and a 33-year stay in India, where he served as a missionary and head of surgery at the Christian Medical College.

Eggleston said he was surprised to be named this year's recipient. "I didn't know why it was being offered," he said.

Eggleston's time in the Navy "was a very determining thing," he explained. "They sent me to China, where there was still a civil war going on." His time in China influenced his and his wife's decision to move to India.

"We went there because of experiences I had in China right after World War II. We saw misery there that was beyond belief," he said. "I learned a tremendous amount."

Eggleston majored in physics as an undergraduate before attending Cornell Medical School. Last year, he published a book titled, "Where Is God Not? An American Surgeon in India." He now serves as a full-time volunteer with the Medical Benevolence Foundation.

The Madison Medal, named for the University's first graduate student, James Madison 1771, is presented to an alumnus or alumna of the graduate college in recognition of success in advancing the cause of education or achieving an outstanding record of public service.

Born in China, Tien, this year's recipient, graduated from National Taiwan University before coming to the United States in 1956. He earned M.A. and Ph.D degrees from Princeton in 1959.

Tien is a professor in the University of California system and currently holds a professorial chair at Berkeley.

A naturalized U.S. citizen, Tien is internationally known for his work in heat transfer technology. He is active in several organizations dedicated to increasing communications between the world's eastern and western spheres, such as the Pacific Council on International Policy.

At 9:15 a.m. on Alumni Day Feb. 26, Eggleston and Tien will deliver addresses to the public in Alexander Hall. They will receive their awards in a luncheon ceremony.