Tigertones to sing at MADD concert

Senior Tigertones Greg Paulson, Brian Goehring, David Grossman and Brian Kurtz will have a second "once in a lifetime opportunity" to perform at Carnegie Hall.

The University singing group organized the concert and arranged for the proceeds to benefit Mothers Against Drunk Driving, which raises awareness about the consequences of drinking and driving.

The Princeton Tigertones, Yale Whiffenpoofs and Harvard Krokodiloes singing groups will perform together in a May 3 concert titled "The Ivy League Remembers . . . A Capella for MADD."

Tickets will be on sale at dining halls and eating clubs next week. Student tickets cost $15, while $30 and $60 non-student tickets will be available. The concert is scheduled for 8 p.m. Subsidized bus transportation will be available for students.

Dedication

The Tigertones will be dedicating their performance to former music director, Richard Modica '99, who died as a result of an alleged drunk driver's actions during the group's March 1997 tour.

Several singing group members indicated the concert's significance for them.

"This is something for all of us who are still here. It's more about going forward than about the past," Greg Paulson '98 said, explaining that this event would be different from the group's previous memorial concerts for Modica.

"With the crash last spring, all of a sudden drunk driving touched a Princeton student. As students we need to realize the dangers of drinking and driving," Paulson added.

Tigertone Ben Waterhouse '00 said, "It's going to be a lot more important to this group of 'Tones, particularly in light of the accident."

Waterhouse said the Tigertones are "extending an open invitation to the whole Princeton campus," and he hopes that they will be able to "pack the hall."

Goehring said the performance was "not just about filling the hall's 2,800 seats, or raising x-amount of dollars for MADD."

"It's about telling the story about how we got to Carnegie Hall. Rick is a very important part of this concert," he added.

Goehring and Paulson coordinated the intercollegiate benefit concert with the help of other Tigertone members "to remember Modica and to let something meaningful come from his death," according to Paulson.

MADD

Janice Heggie, the executive director for the Connecticut chapter of MADD, said the organization does not get to do much work with undergraduates.

"Campuses are difficult because of the 21-age split. But we want to educate students about the seriousness of drunk driving, illustrated by the untimely death of Rick Modica," Heggie said.

MADD's emphasis is in education and prevention. Heggie said the organization's message is simple: "If you choose to drink, please don't choose to drive."

According to the group's senior members, the Tigertones chose MADD because it was a highly recognizable organization with a broad national scope.

Goehring added that planning the event, which began last summer, was an enjoyable way to further the group's goals and Modica's memory.

"It's going to be a fun concert – that's what Rick would have wanted," Goehring added.

According to Paulson, 60 students from Modica's high school, Pleasantville High School in New York, will attend the concert in his memory.

The Krokodiloe music director, David Liang, said "musically, the concert will bring all three groups to a whole new level."