Committee supports safe Bicker amid sexual harassment concerns

In an increased effort to ensure the safety and comfort of new and prospective eating club members at the 'Street' during Bicker and sign-ins week, the University's Standing Committee on the Status of Women endorsed a "commitment" to a "safe, healthy atmosphere in the eating clubs."

Colleen Shanahan '98 led a subcommittee composed of female representatives from all the eating clubs that drafted the new commitment after the standing committee decided to "address women and eating clubs."

"I know that the Dean of Student Life has handled several sexual harassment charges during bicker week," Shanahan said. "We hope to increase public discussion over Bicker behavior."

Shanahan said the commitment was not drafted in response to any particular instance, but rather to prevent "abusive or demeaning behavior," including potentially dangerous drug and alcohol misuse and sexual misconduct.

"There is sexual harassment occurring," Cloister Inn's representative, Jaclyn Schwenker '98, said. "I have heard specific stories about it."

Assistant Dean of Student Life Sandra Silverman explained that her office was aware of past instances of sexual harassment.

"Every year, practically, students who are seniors come in and talk about their experiences two years ago, but they don't feel comfortable reporting them," Silverman said. "People are not willing to come forward as witnesses."

"We hear stories about things like third-floor Bicker taking place. People don't feel comfortable having a sexual encounter with a member that they hadn't planned on or that would not have happened in different circumstances," she said.

Shanahan explained "third-floor Bicker" as an instance in which "a member offers to take a sophomore on a tour of the club. Then they take them into the room, lock the door, and say something like, 'You're not going to be let in unless you hook up with me.' "

"We've heard about third-floor Bicker (and) people passed down the stairs naked," Silverman said. "People are intending it to be fun, but sometimes the people involved find it horrible, terrible, embarrassing, etc."

"If we hear rumors, we talk to the presidents about the complaints during the pre-Bicker and sign-in meetings, or as they arise," she said. "Without fact that substantiates a rumor, the University cannot take definitive action."

"The proctors can't just go in and do a spot check because they are private clubs," Silverman explained.

SHARE director Janet Waronker said many times people prefer not to make official complaints and instead remain anonymous. "I can't file a report without the permission of the person involved," she said.

'Power dynamic'

"There is a sort of power dynamic during Bicker. People have been concerned about instances when members somehow take advantage of prospective members," Kira Gnesdiloff '98 said.

Peggy Williams '98, Ivy Club vice president and committee representative said she was appreciative that "the Standing Committee recognized that there is a potential for sexual harassment in all aspects of college life in colleges everywhere."

"We want to make sure that the social aspect of Princeton was comfortable for both men and women," Williams said.

Schwenker said she hopes the commitment will have a longterm impact. "For me, it's not just about Bicker week," she said. "The goal is to help women feel safe, to validate them for maybe feeling a little bit fearful."

In addition, she added that "(the commitment) provides another chance to educate about drawing your own boundaries."