Women’s basketball faces Yale and Brown for alumnae weekend

wbb_davidson2.jpg
Carlie Littlefield and women's basketball continue their conference schedule this weekend against Yale and Brown

Princeton’s women’s basketball  (10–8 overall, 2–1 Ivy) will be facing Yale (13–6, 3–1) and Brown (9–11, 1–3) in Jadwin Gym during its alumnae weekend Friday, Feb. 8 and Saturday, Feb. 9. After coming off of a successful and, for some, a record breaking weekend against Cornell and Columbia, the women are looking to sweep their conference opponents this weekend.

Yale is ranked eighth nationally for defensive rebounds, making them the best defensive rebounding team in the Ivy League. The Tigers need to be big below the basket, both offensively and defensively, to outwork the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs are led offensively by junior Roxy Barahman who is currently ranked 33rd nationally in scoring. The teams met three times last season, with Princeton winning two games, including in the semifinals of the Ivy League tournament.

Brown has the No. 47 overall scoring offense in Division-I women’s basketball. Junior Justine Gaziano is a potent three-point shooter, which should prove to be a threat against the Tigers’ defense on Saturday. Princeton defeated Brown convincingly in both games between the two last season.

As the Tigers look to beat both Yale and Brown this weekend, there are going to be many key elements and players that help pave the way. Junior Bella Alarie has been a force the past two conference games, both offensively and defensively, and could lead the team to a sweep if she keeps her scoring, block, and rebound statistics up.

After her record-breaking weekend, Bella Alarie picked up three different honors. On Monday, she was named Ivy League Player of the Week, on Tuesday she was selected as the United States Basketball Writers’ Association (USBWA) Player of the Week, and on Wednesday she was named to NCAA.com’s Starting Five honors for the week of Jan. 30 - Feb. 5.

Alarie broke three different records in her game against Columbia on Friday, Feb. 1. She broke the Ivy League Single-Game record for points and field goals, scoring 45 points in 20 baskets, the Princeton Single-Game Record for points and field goals, and the Princeton All-Time Leader in Blocks.

Sophomore Carlie Littlefield will also be an offensive threat, shooting a .380 field goal percentage, with senior Gabrielle Rush not far behind, shooting a .349 percentage. Both Littlefield and Rush combine for an average of 10 rebounds per game, posing a threat to Yale’s strong rebounders.

The game vs. Yale will be held at 6 p.m. on Friday, February 8th in Jadwin Gymnasium but can also be seen on NBC Sports Philadelphia+ and on the ESPN+ streaming service. The Brown game will be held on Saturday, February 9th at 5 p.m. and can also be streamed on ESPN+. Saturday is also a National Girls and Women in Sports Day celebration and the 2014-2015 undefeated regular season team, and all other alumni, will be honored at halftime. Blake Dietrick ’15 will be celebrated for her WNBA successes between the third and fourth quarters of the Brown game as well.