Editorial: Upholding free and independent college journalism

Student journalists — at The Daily Princetonian and elsewhere — are the future of the democratic free press. We commend the hundreds of editorial boards nationwide who have written articles last week combating attacks on American journalism. Quilted together on the front page of The New York Times, these editorials send a strong message: journalists will not back down.

The role of student reporting within the field of journalism is unique. Though we have not been the target of ad hominem attacks or direct threats from those in power, nor do we report on the (often vitriolic) ins and outs of quotidian politics, we do stand in solidarity with the journalists across our nation who have been subjected to such abuse and name-calling. They are the journalists we look up to and one day aspire to be.

Independent college newspapers promote unfettered and fearless journalism, holding those in power at universities accountable, just as professional journalists do for our government. Student papers incubate the next generation of professional journalists, who will continue to hold the powerful accountable, democratize access to information, and promote truth for years to come.  

We at the ‘Prince’ will continue to pursue and publish the truth to the best of our abilities, and we encourage other independent student newspapers to join us.

Signatories: 

Board chairs

Marcia Brown ’19 

Emily Erdos ’19

Board members

Samuel Aftel ’20 

Isabel Hsu ’19

Crystal Liu ’19

Jon Ort ’21

Samuel Parsons ’19 

Sebastian Quiroz ’20

Dora Zhao ’21