News & Notes : Art Museum purchases solar-powered vehicles

The Princeton University Art Museum recently purchased two solar-powered low-speed vehicles for staff use, according to an Office of Sustainability press release.

The vehicles will be used by staff to travel between the Art Museum, Alexander Street offices, and other locations locally. According to the release, the vehicles are significantly more environmentally friendly than electric vehicles which would require regular charging. The solar panels are made from a high-efficiency monocrystalline material that makes them resistant to impact.

Michael Brew, Business Manager of the Art Museum, noted in the release that the decision to purchase the vehicles was inspired by an upcoming 2018 exhibition, Nature’s Nation: American Art and Environment.

According to an article published in the Atlantic Highlands Herald, the project will focus on human relation to the natural world by examining for the first time “how American artists have reflected and shaped environmental perception while contributing to the emergence of a modern ecological consciousness.”

“When I heard the LSV had a solar option, I just had to reach out to the Office of Sustainability to see if there was grant funding available to help us try this alternative energy source,” Brew said in the press release.

He added that his staff looks forward to sustainable driving in the vehicles and highly recommends them to other campus partners.

Funding for the vehicles was provided by the High Meadows Foundation Sustainability Fund by the Office of Sustainability. According to its website, the fund “requests proposals for campus sustainability projects, with an emphasis on measurable outcomes and culture change.” All members of the campus community, including students, faculty, and staff, are eligible to apply.