Welcome to Princeton! Or are you?

Welcome to the Class of 2020 and another year of diversity on our campus, whether of race, religion, or socio-economic status. Yet despite all the rhetoric of inclusion and the toted values of diversity that we parade around the Orange Bubble, tasteless themed events organized by students are once again putting Old Nassau back into the news. Such events, which in the best light can be characterized as grossly culturally ignorant, and in the worst light blatantly racist, are sadly a recurring component of student life.

Most recently, on Monday, Sept. 14, Princeton students threw the inconspicuously named “MMMMMMF” party. The acronym stands for “Mandatory Makeout Mexican Mustache Monday Madness Fiesta.” The party flaunted negative stereotypes of Mexicans as its perverse theme in a party invite posted on Facebook. The lack of respect for and trivialization of an entire culture and people is clearly wrong, and it seems that the students hosting the event knew that. Why else obscure the 27th occurrence of this party with an acronym?

Instead of chancing the legitimate criticism they should face for hosting a racially themed party, the students intentionally posted ambiguous MMMMMMF signs around the Spelman Halls, hoping to fly under the radar. Sadly, that is what they were initially able to accomplish at least here on campus.

What is perhaps most alarming is that information about a blatantly inappropriate party was quicker to reach professional news outlets than the ears of many Princetonians. Even now, many students are likely unaware that this party occurred, and one can hope that this is the reason behind the astounding lack of repudiation among the general student population.

While MMMMMMF is outrageously disrespectful, the larger issue on Princeton’s campus is the regularity with which these types of incidents occur and the lack of response from both the student body at large and the administration of University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83. In the last two years alone, events ranging from the scandalous Urban Congo performance, to derogatory parties held during Cinco de Mayo last year, to the reactionary response against the Black Justice League protests that fell immediately into regressive comments and respectability politics, and now this “Mexican” party, give a clear indication of the accepted racially ignorant climate at Princeton. In response to the party last week, the recently appointed Dean for Diversity and Inclusion, LaTanya Buck, sent out an apologetic email after a small group of students reported complaints about MMMMMMF. The email was sent out to those subscribed to email announcement updates from the Princeton Women’s Center, reaching just a fraction of the student population. Her email states, “We do not condone cultural appropriation and disrespect to any individual’s and group’s racial, cultural, and ethnic identities.” But the nature of that statement does not come through as nearly strong enough in regards to either in rhetoric or effect. Her insufficient response attempts to meekly pacify those who make valid complaints. By not taking a stronger, more public stance against events like these or holding the students responsible accountable, the administration continues to disregard and excuse the pervasive culture of casual cultural ignorance and outright racism that permeates this campus.

There is a disturbing lack of information regarding the MMMMMMF incident – is Princeton trying to fly under the radar on this as well? As yet, there has been no clearly public statement on the part of the administration condemning racist themed events. This silence is about money and public perception. There is a vested monetary interest in portraying Princeton as an institution of higher learning that values diversity, and it is advantageous for the administration to develop an image of the school that pleases the alumni who will generously donate to their alma mater. However, if Princeton is to truly live up to its values as an institution, especially after the public statements of last year, Princeton needs to do better. As stated by the trustees, Princeton needs to full-heartedly commit to being “a university where people of all backgrounds and perspectives are welcomed, valued, and respected; where they learn with and from each other; and where all feel that the Princeton they attend is their Princeton.”

The current climate is not only bad for those of us here now, but also hinders others from accessing our campus in the future. By propagating our current culture, the University is limiting the ability to attract more students of color and continuing to undermine those already here. When our public face is unwilling to challenge issues of race on campus with a strong voice and action, what message does that send to the possible Class of 2021, 2022, and beyond? It’s tantamount to putting up a sign that says, “Don’t come here, you are not welcome – unless you want to quietly put up with the status quo.”

We as a community of students with the administration need to hold accountable those who disrespect and clearly disdain other students’ culture and heritage. We need to create an atmosphere that addresses the lack of perfect inclusion in the Orange Bubble with more than just lip service. We need to do better.

Ryan Chavez is a sophomore from Arcadia, CA. He can be reached at rdchavez@princeton.edu.