Men's Hockey falls to Ivy League rivals over weekend

This past weekend, the Princeton Men’s hockey team (5-14-2, 3-9-2 ECAC) traveled to Cambridge, Mass. and Hanover, N.H. to battle against two major league rivals: Harvard (12-4-3, 8-3-3 ECAC) and Dartmouth (11-9-1, 8-6-0 ECAC). The Orange and Black had hoped to redeem themselves after losing to these teams at Baker Rink in November, but struggled to do so on both Friday and Saturday night.

The Orange and Black held their own against No. 7 Harvard on Friday night, but let the game slip away during the third period. The Crimson began the game with a conversion on its first power play to take a 1-0 lead right from the start. Their power play is ranked second in the nation, and Harvard forward Sean Malone proved this as he fired his shot past Princeton’s talented junior goalie Colton Phinney. ­This goal was closely followed by Harvard’s second point, shot by center Tyler Moy at 5:40. This marked Moy’s sixth goal of the season; he was selected by the Nashville Predators in the NHL Draft this past June. The Tigers cut their deficit to only one at 9:40, when freshmen forwards Ryan Kuffner and Max Véronneau assisted on a goal scored by junior defender Tommy Davis. In the third period, Harvard increased its lead back to two after forward Jimmy Vesey scored a backdoor goal assisted by Alexander Kerfoot. In the last 27.4 seconds remaining, Vesey added an empty net goal for a final score of 4-1. Although Princeton lost, coach Ron Fogarty said that he was pleased with the team’s overall performance.

Following the loss in Cambridge, the Tigers traveled to Hanover to battle against the Big Green at Thompson Arena. Despite a strong Orange and Black offensive effort, Dartmouth would eventually sweep Princeton 2-0. Although they were defeated, the Princeton players came out strong, taking five shots before giving up a single one. Princeton’s best scoring chances came in the first period by senior forward Mike Ambrosia after stripping a Dartmouth defender as well as on a left-to-right opportunity from junior forward Ben Foster. Both attempts were blocked by Dartmouth goaltender Charles Grant, who achieved his third shutout of the season on Saturday. The Big Green put itself on the board at 8:34 with a goal from forward Alex Jasiek. Forward Jack Barre scored Dartmouth’s second goal in an odd-man rush situation with only 19 seconds left in the game. Although the Black and Orange failed to get the win, the team outshot the Big Green by 14 points.

Princeton returns home next weekend on Feb. 5 and 6 to host Colgate University and Cornell University at Baker Rink. The puck is set to drop at 7 p.m. for both games, which will be available to watch on the Ivy League Digital Network.