News & Notes: Concerns arise over divestment movement at University of Pennsylvania

A pro-Israel group at the University of Pennsylvania, the Think Peace Coalition, expressed concern over a campaign called “Penn Divest from Displacement,” a divestment movement at the Penn campus, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported on Monday.

The movement proposes that Penn divest from seven companies that are involved in“human rights abuses related to the displacement of peoples.”

The seven identified companies are part of the private prison, drone manufacturing and bulldozer weaponization industries.

For example, the group alleged in a March 30 editorial in The Daily Pennsylvanian that General Atomics Aeronautical Systems had produced "drones that terrorize Muslim communities in South Asia and the Middle East."

The groups that announced the movement were thePenn Arab Student Society, Penn for Immigrant Rights, Penn Students for Justice in Palestine, Students Organizing for Unity and Liberation, Penn Amnesty International, Penn Non-Cisand theStudent Labor Action Project.

Princeton University undergraduate students will soon vote on a referendum todivest from companies that are “complicit in the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and blockade of the Gaza Strip.”