First win eludes sprint football

The sprint football team (0-3 overall) lost its home openeron Fridaynight to Cornell (2-2). Featuring a roster plagued by injuries and playing without two of its three captains, the undermanned Princeton squad was overmatched from the outset, unable to stop Cornell on offense and playing in its own half for virtually all of the game.

The Big Red threatened early and often as the offense punched in short touchdown runs on its first four drives, quickly building a 27-0 lead through one quarter of play. Cornell's offense proved largely unstoppable in the first half, compiling 48 unanswered points on the Tigers' defense. The Ithacan side also enjoyed phenomenal field position throughout the half, dominating the battle for territory and operating with a short field for the majority of play.

Cornell’s top performers included quarterbacks Rob Pannullo and Karriem Royster, who combined for 114 yards on 7-9 passing and two touchdowns. Pannullo also added a touchdown on the ground, one of five Big Red players to do so. Running back Benjamin Herrera also looked strong for Cornell, rushing for 83 yards and two scores.

For the Tigers, playing for the first time this season on home turf, the game proved out of reach early. Sophomore quarterback Chad Cowden, pressured heavily all night by the Cornell defense, could not find a rhythm for most of the game as the Tigers' offense looked out of sync. The defense, too, struggled against the stiff challenge posed by Cornell and was battered up front by strong opposing line play.

While the Tigers struggled in the first two quarters, their toughness and perseverance showed after the halftime break. Down nearly 50 points, the defense tightened up and improved tremendously in the second half, only allowing 35 yards and one first down. The Tigers nearly shut out the Big Red in the final 30 minutes, only conceding a single touchdown after a Princeton fumble gave Cornell the ball within five yards of the Tigers' end zone.

The highlight of the night for the home team came with only minutes remaining in the game. After junior linebacker Nick Barnett forced a Big Red fumble and senior defensive back Mulay Sarbanes recovered it at the Cornell 19-yard line, the Tigers, led by Cowden, drove toward the goal line, determined to put points on the board. Much to the dismay of the Tigers' sideline, however, the offense was denied by a gritty Cornell goal line stand that kept the shutout intact.

While the result was far from what the home team had hoped for, there were some standouts for the Princeton side. Junior A.J. Sibley continued his strong linebacker play, recording a game-high 10 tackles. Additionally, Barnett and senior defensive lineman Dan Paolillo piled up eight and seven stops, respectively. On the Cowden-led offense, freshman Tyler Kaye and sophomore Ahmed Musse combined for nine catches and 103 yards to lead the Princeton aerial attack.

As the grueling season rolls on, the Tigers will hope to improve in all facets of play as they await the return of some of the injured players in their ranks who were unable to suit up against Cornell. A deep, powerful Army (4-0) side will provide the next test for sprint football, arriving in Princeton to face off against the Tigers at7 p.m. on Fridaynight.