Tiger Inn members elect four new officers following 21 Club scandal

Ti_KathrynMoore_small
Ti_KathrynMoore_small

Tiger Inn elected four new officers on Monday to replace the four officers who resigned on March 10 following an unauthorized party.

Oliver Bennett ’15, the vice president prior to the incident, was elected president. Adam Krop ’15, Andrew Hoffenberg ’15, Ren Scott ’15 were elected vice president, treasurer and house manager, respectively, while Brendan Byrne ’15, the social chair prior to the incident, will continue in that position. Francie Jenkins ’15 was appointed safety czar.

The new officers did not respond to requests for comment.

The elections come after the former president, house manager, treasurer and safety czar resigned following what was officially called a "security breach" at the club on March 9. The breach was found to be an unauthorized party of the 21 Club, according to two members with knowledge of the situation. An email sent to all TI members following the incident said that the officers did not plan, host or participate in the party, but they did allow it to happen.

The 21 Club groups 21 juniors and 21 seniors who participate in an annual initiations ritual where every member must consume 21 beers in 42 minutes.

The elections were preceded by a “town hall” meeting between the members and the graduate board. In the meeting, the graduate board explained the details of the incident that led to the resignation of the four officers, and discussed the plans of the club going forward.

Graduate board president Robert “Hap” Cooper ’82 did not respond to emails and text messages, as well as did not return phone calls. Former graduate board president Eric Pedersen ’82 said he was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

After the officers resigned, a petition criticizing the decision circulated among the members of the club, according to a member with knowledge of the events. The petition obtained over 100 signatures, but did not reverse the decision.

“The decision [to fire four officers] ... will likely produce no productive results, has served only to further alienate the membership and foster the impression that the Graduate Board views us as irresponsible children,” the petition read. “The truth is this: the new officer corps inherited a hostile environment, which was the product of years of irresponsibility and bad luck.”

The petition proposed the creation of two new representatives per class, who would work with the graduate board.

“As a first step towards cooperation we propose the establishment of two additional elected representatives for each of the Junior and Senior classes. These representatives, elected and held accountable solely by their respective class years, would serve on a Task Force with the Graduate Board, the primary objective of which would be to increase transparency, accountability and representation in the Club’s governance,” it said.

The member added that the four officers who resigned could have technically been reelected to their original positions, but a different set of officers was elected in their place instead.

[scribd id=215845981 key=key-1ash50l17cm6q7n6c8go mode=scroll]

Correction: Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of this article misstated the titles of two Tiger Inn officers. Andrew Hoffenberg '15 will be treasurer and Brendan Byrne '15will be social chair. The 'Prince' regrets the error.