News & Notes: Salt shipment arrives in town in time for new snowstorm

The town of Princeton received salt shipments this week which will be used to keep roads from icing and facilitate snow plowing, the Princeton Packet reported last week.

Mayor Liz Lempert announced that critical salt shipments had arrived after a 100-ton order was delayed for weeks due to transportation issues. The region's salt reserves reached critically low amounts due to a succession of severe snowstorms that have hit New Jersey and the rest of the northeastern United States this winter season.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced a state of emergency on Sunday night in preparation for a snowstorm expected to last throughout the day Monday. All state offices for non-essential employees are closed and Christie has cautioned people to drive carefully and stay off the roads when possible.

Heavy snow, freezing temperatures and mixed precipitation are expected, as well asfallen trees, power outages and flooding, according to ABC's New Jersey News. The University has not issued any statements about the potential impacts of the snowstorm in its operations.

Correction: Due to an editing error, an earlier version of this article incorrectly referred to the town of Princeton as Princeton Township. The 'Prince' regrets the error.