Ask the Sexpert

Dear Sexpert,

I’ve been very curious to know what you pay for at University Health Services and which services are confidential. I have asked around, but my friends don’t have a clue, and I’m concerned that some of the information I’m getting is wrong. Which services offered at UHS are confidential, and which are not? Which services are free, and what are the costs of the others?

—Lost in Translation

Dear Lost,

In general, as the saying goes in Vegas, “What happens at UHS, stays at UHS.” Any services obtained at UHS are kept confidential, and records are not released or shared with outside parties (e.g. parents, deans, friends, etc.) unless 1) instructed by you in writing; 2) subpoenaed in court; or 3) there is a risk of imminent harm to you or someone else. In any of those cases, confidentiality may be broken.

The confidential services include: medical services (including sexual health and wellness); counseling and psychological services; health promotion and wellness services; sexual harassment/assault advising, resources and education services; travel medicine, allergy shots and immunization; athletic medicine; and after-hours urgent care.

For any service obtained at Sexual Health and Wellness, confidentiality is maintained regardless of age (even if you are under 18 years old).

It is important to note that if you are covered under your parents' insurance and use their insurance to cover services at UHS, your parent may receive a bill or explanation of benefits and know you obtained the service. This goes for any prescription medication and testing as well. However, the results of any test (e.g. chlamydia and gonorrhea) will NOT be included in this information. You may also choose to pay for any service out of pocket, instead of going through insurance, to avoid potentially notifying your parent.

As far as cost goes, UHS does everything it can to minimize cost, and it provides a number of services for free, such as medical office visits, CPS visits, athletic medicine services, SHARE services, HIV testing, condoms and dental dams (you can get 10 free condoms per day) and some laboratory tests.

The best way to find out about the cost of other services is to ask the experts: Call UHS at (609) 258-3141 and ask them directly. They can help explain what the costs would be, given your needs and individual insurance coverage.

I hope this helps explain these somewhat confusing and complicated topics. Stay healthy, and remember to contact UHS with any questions you may have!

—The Sexpert