Sports Shorts: Men's Volleyball, Track and Field, Wrestling, Women's Hockey

Men’s Volleyball: Tigers lose EIVA opener

The men’s volleyball team had high hopes for the season after an impressive season-opening win over No. 12 UC Santa Barbara. Those hopes took a big hit after a loss to George Mason on Friday night 25-21, 25-19, 21-25, 25-15. Despite an impressive third set for the Tigers that got the score to 2-1, a poor start for the Tigers in the fourth set was too much to overcome as the team lost the match and dropped to 1-2 overall and 0-1 in EIVA play. The loss is particularly hurtful, as it came against a Patriot squad that finished only one spot ahead of the Tigers in the EIVA last year.

Track and Field: Men take 22nd straight HYP, women take fourth straight

Both the men and women dominated in the HYP meet at Jadwin Gymnasium this past Saturday. Harvard took an early lead in both the men’s and women’s meets before Princeton took control near the halfway point. The men have now won 22 consecutive HYP meets while the women have won four straight. The men scored over half of the total points in the meet, while the women were one shy of half. Harvard finished second in both meets while Yale finished a distant third. The men and women will now prepare for the Princeton Invitational they will be hosting this upcoming Saturday.

Wrestling: Team notches second straight win before losing to Brown, Harvard

The wrestling team had notched its first win of the season last weekend after having lost its first eight matches. The team then took its second straight victory when it beat Sacred Heart 22-4 on Friday night. The Tigers were not able to capitalize on that momentum, however, as they dropped both of their dual matches on Saturday. The team lost a close one to Brown 20-12 despite gaining an early 9-3 lead. The Harvard dual match was not as close, as Harvard dominated throughout the match and cruised to a 27-6 win.

Women’s Ice Hockey: Rough weekend at Baker Rink

The Tigers scored only twice in two games against ECAC opponents Colgate and No. 4 Cornell. Princeton kept the Cornell game close for the first two periods, but three unanswered goals by the league-leading Big Red in the final period buried the Tigers. Princeton was outshot 72-34 over the two games, and freshman goalkeeper Kimberly Newell’s 50 saves were not enough to stem the tide.