Saturday, September 25

Previous Issues

Try our latest crossword
Listen to Daybreak for the day’s biggest stories

Juan José López Haddad

Email Juan José López Haddad

Illustration by Payton Croskey / The Daily Princetonian

Evacuation at Hamid Karzai International Airport
U.S. Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Victor Mancilla/ Defense Visual Information Distribution Service

Afghanistan and the decline of American reliability

“The United States might not be the Land of the Free, but relative to other comparable powers, it is indeed the Land of the Freer. Now, during the 20th anniversary of the heinous terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, it is critical for all Americans to reflect whether Washington has really kept the promises it made when it vowed to fight terrorism, both domestic and foreign.”

Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian 

PART I | A History of American Partisanship

“That consensus does not mean the in-existence of factions. Political parties, while causing division and generating instances of unsavory speech, are necessary as instruments of consensus-making. No one is “above politics.”  

“That consensus does not mean the in-existence of factions. Political parties, while causing division and generating instances of unsavory speech, are necessary as instruments of consensus-making. No one is ‘above politics.’” 

Finding your academic home at Princeton

As you embark in the endeavor of choosing — or surviving — a concentration, be cognizant of these tips. Email that one cool professor you had and set up a time to meet or have coffee. Apply to that interesting fellowship you might have seen on a website or in an email — all there is to lose is a couple of hours.

Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

In praise of his folly: Newman’s empty crusade against elitism

The elitism identified by Newman is all too prevalent. But he is not the antidote; he is its logical extension. The only way to differentiate oneself from Princeton’s elitism is to actually help the world and topple people like Newman from their thrones of self-styled cultural supremacy.  And it is this consciousness, rather than the subpar model of a Gatsby, that should animate any practice that seeks not only to overcome the standard Princeton elitism, but the self-humiliating pretensions of Newman himself.

More articles »