Declan Farmer ’20, Team USA make history in Paralympic sled hockey gold medal win

declan farmer.jpeg
Farmer led the Paralympic tournament in both goals and assists.
Photo via Flickr.

Another Princetonian is bringing home a gold medal.

Declan Farmer ’20, a sled hockey player for Team USA tallied two goals and an assist in his team’s 5–0 rout of Canada in the men’s sled hockey final at the 2022 Paralympic Winter Games. The five-goal margin of victory is the largest in the gold medal game’s history and marks the fourth straight Paralympic gold medal for Team USA.

Farmer opened the scoring for the Americans with five minutes, 52 seconds to go in the opening period. Despite being on the penalty kill, Farmer forced a turnover and sprinted the length of the ice for a shorthanded goal and a 1–0 lead for the Americans.

After two goals from Brody Roybal extended the lead to 3–0, Farmer and teammate Josh Pauls created a 2-on-1 break where Farmer found Pauls for a 4–0 lead midway through the second period. Team USA wasn’t done quite yet, as Pauls found Farmer at the side of the net, who then skated cross-crease and roofed a shot for his second of the game and a 5–0 lead.

In all, Farmer led the entire tournament in assists (11) and points (18). Since joining the team as a 14-year-old in 2012, Farmer has amassed three Paralympic gold medals and totaled 40 points in the three tournaments. He is already one the most dominant players in the sport at age 24 and has the trophy case to back it up. 

Ben Burns is an Associate Sports Editor at the 'Prince' who typically covers basketball, hockey, and soccer. He can be reached at bwburns@princeton.edu or on Twitter @bwburns5_.