Day six of ‘Gaza Solidarity Encampment’ at Princeton

In the background, a brown brick building with green vines growing over it. In the foreground, several individuals sit on green grass.
Protesters moved from McCosh courtyard to Cannon Green on Monday evening.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

The live updates on day six of the sit-in have concluded. Follow live updates of day six hereSee previous coverage of days one, twothreefour, and five.

This story is breaking and will be updated as additional information becomes available.

The “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” sit-in protest enters its sixth day, after moving from McCosh Courtyard to Cannon Green on Monday evening. The move followed an occupation of Clio Hall by protesters, which ended in 13 arrests. In an email sent to the University community at 10:30 p.m. last night, President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 called the protest “completely unacceptable.” The sit-in at Clio took place during the monthly Council of the Princeton University Committee (CPUC) meeting, which focused on protest regulations and disinvestment policies, and featured a successful effort to delay a vote on banning video recording at meetings.

Sit-ins at other Universities around the country have also escalated in recent hours. After Columbia University announced it had begun suspending students who refused to leave the encampment before a deadline set by the administration, dozens of students occupied Hamilton Hall. This campus building was previously occupied during 1968 student protests. At the University of Texas at Austin, the police broke up an encampment for the second time, arresting dozens. 

At Princeton, Monday was also marked by counter protestors. Counter protesters visited the encampment twice yesterday, once at noon and again at 2 p.m., both times causing peaceful back-and-forths with the protesters. 

Quiet night continues — May 1, 5:25 a.m.

Fewer than 20 people remain on Cannon Green, where the sit-in has remained for almost 36 hours. Meanwhile, two PSAFE cars idle by Clio Hall and a third is parked on the northwest corner of the green. Officers are mostly standing around and chatting; one was sitting on a bench audibly scrolling social media before being relieved by another officer coming out of Morrison Hall.

Some rainfall marks otherwise uneventful night — May 1, 2:00 a.m.

Around 25 protesters remained on Cannon Green when it began to rain around 1:50 a.m. Protesters are using tarps, sleeping bags, and umbrellas to shield themselves.

Rain already fell around 10:00 p.m. but ceased shortly after.

Protesters tune into WKCR coverage of Columbia University raid on protesters — April 30, 9:26 p.m.

Protesters at the Princeton encampment called on their fellow protesters to listen to Columbia University’s student radio station, WKCR, which is reporting live updates of the NYPD moving into the occupied Hamilton Hall on Columbia’s Morningside campus. Police are entering Hamilton Hall through a third floor window and arresting students who have been occupying the building since yesterday. WKCR reported that 20 to 50 protesters were inside of the building at the time of the raid. 

Princeton protesters are huddled in small groups, listening to the coverage on the radio.

Sit-in organizers hold town hall — 6:24 p.m.

At around 6:13 p.m., protesters in the sit-in gathered in the center of Cannon Green for a community town hall. On a schedule obtained by The Daily Princetonian, the town hall was set to include conversation on the sit-in’s demands, the organizational structure of the sit-in, legal support, updates on the sit-in and why it was moved, as well a public forum on yesterday’s action.

During opening statements at the meeting, a protester reiterated the demands of the sit-in to the crowd, including disclosure and divestment of the University’s investments in Israeli companies. They called the Clio Hall occupation a success, saying that “We put pressure on the University and showed them what we’re capable of.” 

The town hall was briefly interrupted by a different protester, who told the crowd that Brown University had decided to divest from investments in Israel. It was then clarified that Brown University had not divested, but instead that Brown Corporation agreed to hold a vote on divestment in return for the dismantling of their encampment. 

Following opening statements, the ‘Prince’ was asked to leave for the remainder of the town hall. Counter protesters were seen stationed around the table they set up earlier in the day, holding signs that read, among other things, “Call for violent resistance is a call supporting Terrorism [sic].”

Calhoun sends statement on Clio Hall occupation, warns of incoming disciplinary and criminal action — 5:21 p.m.

Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun sent an email about yesterday’s Clio Hall occupation to all undergraduate students at 4:35 p.m. She described the takeover as “an escalation by protestors into unlawful behavior that created a dangerous situation for protestors, University staff, and law enforcement.” 

Calhoun provided an update on 11 of the 13 students arrested yesterday, saying that they have been barred from campus. Of these 11 students, five are undergraduate seniors and six are graduate students. Calhoun stated that the disciplinary process that these students will now face “may lead to suspension, the withholding of degrees, or expulsion,” though she said it was unlikely that the disciplinary process would be resolved by Commencement. 

She also said that other individuals involved with the occupation of the building are being investigated by the Department of Public Safety and may face additional charges. She added that these individuals are “likely to face serious criminal charges,” and that the University would not ask prosecutors to drop any criminal charges. 

Calhoun’s email framed the occupation as a break from Princeton’s tradition of free speech, saying that Princeton community “... has repeatedly shown itself capable of engaging civilly on the most contentious topics in ways that embody respect for everyone who studies and works here.” The email highlighted the importance of time, place, and manner regulations, a concept that University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 emphasized in an op-ed last week.

Status-quo continues at sit-in after off-campus press conference — April 30, 3:58 p.m.

At 1:50 p.m., a crowd began assembling in Palmer Square for a press conference organized by protesters. The Princeton Police Department was also present. The conference began around 2:15 p.m. — leaders of the brief were among those arrested from yesterday's occupation of Clio Hall, however, not all arrestees were present. According to hosts of the conference, of the 13 individuals arrested, 12 were students or researchers and one was a student of Princeton Theological Seminary who is currently enrolled in a course at the University.

The conference began with a brief recap of who was inside of Clio Hall during the occupation and recalled encounters with PSAFE. In addition to arrestees, Ruha Benjamin, a professor of African American Studies was in Clio, serving as a “legal and faculty observer.” Additionally, a member of the student press was present, wearing an identifying badge. 

A group of people gather around microphones, hosting a press conference with microphones from ABC News and News12. In the background, there are some brick buildings.
A press conference at Palmer Square on Tuesday, April 30 held by those arrested at the “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” the day before.
Ammaar Alam / The Daily Princetonian

Ariel Munczek Edelman GS, an arrestee, stated at the brief that University Public Safety “made it clear that they would not respect press and legal observer rights.” Both the press member and Benjamin left before 5:30 p.m., in response to the instruction from PSAFE that all who remained in the building would face arrest. After exiting Clio, the student press member was “banned from campus for 90 days,” according to Andres Blanco Bonilla ’24.

Descriptions of the arrestees’ experiences followed. “All 13 of us were arrested, processed just five feet away from the University’s access, diversity, and inclusion offices, and charged with defiant trespass,” Khari Franklin ’24 said. “We prayed and sang together while ziptied and handcuffed. Criminal charges have been filed, disciplinary charges are still pending.”

Edelman spoke of the community members that “successfully rallied to release [them],” but noted once released, “[they] were still banned from campus and evicted from University housing.” 

“Those of us who live in campus housing were immediately evicted and given just a few minutes to collect our belongings,” Edelman explained. 

“They [the administration] have reproduced the conditions of expulsion or suspension without calling it that,” Aditi Rao GS added.

The 'Prince' could not verify claims of "eviction." The University could not be immediately reached for comment.

The University's unwillingness to negotiate with protesters was repeatedly brought up during the conference. Jacob Neis GS stated, “We were moved to this action because the University’s administration has repeatedly refused to meet with the Princeton Gaza Solidarity Encampment bargaining team.”

“The administration also rebuffed a request from six faculty for an emergency meeting regarding last Thursday’s arrests of graduate students,” Neis added.

“The University refused to meet with us through proper channels, so we had to find our own. We will be here until the administration meets with us,” he explained.

Organizers also called attention to the situation in Gaza, with Christian Bischoff ’19 GS stating that “Princeton University, and universities across the world, actively profit from this bloodshed, for their investments and institutional associations. These institutions aggressively repress student protest while refusing to make any statements condemning an active genocide.” 

Collin Riggins ’24 noted that “Since yesterday, Morrison Hall, home of the department of African American Studies, has been locked down.” 

Student proxes stopped granting access to Morrison Hall sometime between 8:15 and 8:50 a.m. In an email to the 'Prince,' University Spokesperson Jennifer Morrill declined to comment on the change in access to the building, noting that the University does not disclose security arrangements.

After some further questions and remarks, the conference concluded with organizers saying that they would release a statement shortly afterward.

Back at the sit-in on Cannon Green, protesters began a round of chants around 3 p.m., and further rounds around 3:35 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. Nearby, Rutgers University has begun its own encampment, with a list of demands posted on the SJP Rutgers Instagram page.

Palmer Square press conference set for 2:00 p.m., protesters continue set up at Cannon Green — April 30, 1:17 p.m. 

A press conference has been scheduled for 2:00 p.m. in Palmer Square. The off-campus location that could permit students barred from campus in the wake of yesterday’s occupation of Clio Hall to attend.

Protesters continue to organize the new sit-in location, with tables for food set up in the north-west corner of Cannon Green and First Aid available to protestors in the south-east. Lunch was scheduled to begin at 12:00 p.m.

There are about 50 demonstrators currently at the sit-in. Journalists from the New Jersey Press Association, ABC News, and the International Press are also present on the lawn with recording equipment in tote. 

South of the green, next to Whig Hall, counter-protestors have set up a table and chairs, as though for a meal. Eight posters, each depicting a different hostage kidnapped from Israel, are draped over the backs of chairs in front of table settings, water, and food — including matzah, which is traditionally eaten during Passover.

Ilay Furman ’25, one of the organizers of the counter-protest outside of Whig Hall said in an interview with the ‘Prince’ that “it is important to remember that we have a lot of kidnapped people still in Gaza that weren’t able to celebrate the holiday.” Today marks the final day of Passover.

Meeting to reflect on yesterday and prepare for tomorrow — April 30, 10:48 a.m.

Around 20 protesters convened for a meeting around 10:40 a.m., planning for what will be their first full day at its new location. The sit-in resettled at Cannon Green yesterday evening.

One demonstrator raised for discussion possible challenges for the future of the sit-in at its new location, saying, “Things had just gotten set up over there [McCosh Courtyard] and now we have a lot of different situations, like potential rain.”

The same protester reflected on yesterday’s demonstration, saying, “I am so proud of all of us. I don’t think y’all know how impressive it is that we de-arrested 14 people. That was something that I’ll think about for the rest of my life.” 

Thirteen people were arrested after briefly occupying Clio Hall yesterday evening. According to an emailed statement from University President Christopher Eisgruber, all arrestees received summonses for trespassing, have been barred from campus, and will face University discipline, which may extend to suspension or expulsion.

Morrison Hall, an academic building located just west of Cannon Green, has been locked. Ordinarily on weekdays, buildings with classroom spaces are accessible to individuals with University IDs from 7:00 a.m. through midnight.

First mic check at a quiet Cannon Green — April 30, 9:58 a.m.

The few protesters present had their first mic check of the cool, cloudy morning, announcing, “The administration doesn’t like us entering the building, so we’ll wait outside. And we’ll be visible, and we’ll be loud.” They then shifted to chanting their established chants.  

They also mentioned having “A meeting at 10:00.”  

A second mic check at 9:57 announced the arrival of breakfast.

Up until the mic-checks, the protest had been quiet and the grass of Cannon Green wet. There has been no migration back to McCosh Courtyard, the previous site of the sit-in. 

Prior to 8:15 a.m., students had been able to enter Morrison Hall without prox. At some point between 8:15 and 8:50, student proxes stopped working to open the building. Morrison currently remains closed. 

A new day rises on a new location — April 30, 7:30 a.m.

The sun rose on roughly 20 students sitting in on the lawn of Cannon Green. At around 6:05, several protesters began set-up activities, with a couple affixing posters to the trees along the perimeter of the lawn, and others organizing supplies and food at the tables on the west side. One other protester worked to clear trash bins. 

At 7:10 a.m., about 8–10 trucks, some of them marked facilities, drove down Chapel Drive towards McCosh courtyard.

The weather has remained overcast as the sun has risen, with light mist. The temperature is chilly, hovering in the mid-50s. It will get warmer as the day goes on, rising to the mid-70s, but still cooler than yesterday’s weather.