CJL President Bartell ’25 emphasizes Jewish pluralism as Israeli-Palestinian conflict continues

CJL
Naomi Hess / The Daily Princetonian

After the elections for the Center for Jewish Life (CJL) held on Dec. 5 and 6, The Daily Princetonian sat down with incoming CJL President Stephen Bartell ’25 to discuss his vision for the upcoming year. Bartell’s goals included “a commitment to the value of Jewish pluralism” as vital to upholding inclusivity at the CJL, especially as the conflict in Israel and Palestine continues. 

The 126 voters also elected Davi Frank ’26 as Vice President of Vision, which helps set overarching goals for the CJL, and Aviva Schwarz ’25 as Vice President of Programming, which oversees the CJL's events. Seth Kahn ’25 was also elected as as Treasurer, and Julia Birdwell ’27 as Communications Chair. Three students ran for VP Vision and two ran for Treasurer, while the elections for President, VP Programming, and Communications Chair were uncontested.

“The blessing and the curse of the CJL is that it runs so many different student groups,” Bartell said. Currently, the CJL hosts various prayer groups, minyans, Israel advocacy groups, and an a cappella group, among others. Bartell wants to ensure that the organization doesn’t just become a collection of independent groups but rather “one cohesive community.”

Bartell acknowledged that there are many different kinds of Jews at Princeton and he cannot be expected to “single-handedly represent every Jew on campus,” but he can try to create a space where this diverse community can coexist — and work to convince other people of the value in this coexistence. 

This requires an intentional allocation of space, according to Bartell, especially for navigating the war in Gaza. While both the CJL’s official position and Bartell’s personal position is supporting Israel’s right to exist, he acknowledged that some members “need spaces to grieve, some need spaces to advocate, some to celebrate, or some to critically engage with what’s going on.” 

Bartell emphasized that there is no one right way to respond to the crisis, and the CJL plays an important role in providing a shared space where people feel comfortable expressing any of those feelings individually or collectively.

“There is something very central to Judaism about loving disagreement, welcomingly and critically,” Bartell said. “A shared space puts people in natural conversation about the way they exist Jewishly.” 

Bartell said that the CJL already serves as a shared space for its diverse members, noting that every Friday, the CJL hosts three sets of services (one on each floor of the building) for Conservative, Orthodox, and Reform Jews. He stressed the importance of continuing to plan similar events to make all Jewish students feel comfortable at the CJL.

Ethan Caldwell is a staff News writer for the ‘Prince.’