The emotional experience of eXpressions’ ‘Memento’

Eight dancers on stage, jumping with one arm raised.

Emma Cinocca / The Daily Princetonian

Amid the blink of the occasional strobe light, eXpressions Dance Company took to the stage on Friday, Nov. 17 with their Fall 2023 show. The evocative performance presented its viewers with a series of vignettes, many of which seemed to cope with remembrance, which fit nicely with the performance’s title, “Memento.” 

Early in the show, three dancers in burgundy slips took the stage to Mitski’s “A Pearl.” At times, the stage cast them in pale spotlights, isolating the dancers from each other and from the audience. Their movements were a dichotomy of sharp beats and contrasting smooth gestures, conveying the emotional turmoil imbued in the song’s lyrics. 

Later, dancers clad in short white dresses and veils portrayed a similar turmoil to Billie Eilish’s “Happier Than Ever,” this time seemingly portraying jilted brides. They began seated side-by-side, before launching into a similar recreation of Eilish’s story of betrayal, rage, and conflicted affection. 

All throughout the show, dancers oscillated between moments of group coordination and solo features that highlighted the unique skills of each company member. They told stories through every aspect of the performance, from carefully-chosen costumes and emotive lyrics to the subtle use of facial expressions as they danced. I was invigorated by the performance — and for good reason. 

Sometimes, movement in contemporary dance can lean into the abstract, a choice that is visually interesting but sometimes inaccessible to audience members with no dance background. “Memento” carefully avoided this pitfall, hardly seeming foreign or overly abstract. Each piece resonated with an emotion that I felt I had experienced — even if only fleetingly — or at the very least one I could easily comprehend. I had watched the show unfold to recognizable tracks by artists like Lana del Rey, Mitski, Halsey, and Billie Eilish. It was easy to imagine how even those unfamiliar with dance as an art form could tap into the emotions tied to such familiar music to interpret the dancers’ potent performances. 

When the show was over, the crowd erupted with applause. Many of the audience members rose from their seats, rushing to the stage to congratulate dancers they knew. I, too, raced down. I said my “hellos” and made my way out, struck again by the title “Memento” as I exited the theater into the crisp November chill. A memento — something by which to remember a person or event. I had certainly left with an impression and memories of the show’s most stunning moments. The audience had so generously offered applause and reaction throughout the performance that I found it hard to imagine anyone left without some kind of memento. An aptly chosen title, indeed.

Emma Cinocca is a contributing writer for The Prospect from Tulsa, Oklahoma. She is a member of the class of 2027 and can be reached at emmacinocca@princeton.edu.