New officer regimes elected at majority of sign-in eating clubs

Bushes frame the front doors of Terrace F. Club on Washington Road
Terrace F. Club held elections this month, one of four sign-in clubs to do so.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

The winds of change are starting to blow on Prospect Avenue. 

Four of the 11 eating clubs of Princeton have recently held their elections for their undergraduate officer positions. Cloister Inn held its election on Nov. 2, Charter Club held them on Nov. 12, Terrace F. Club held them on Nov. 13 and 14, and Quadrangle Club announced election results Nov. 3, meaning that four of five sign-in clubs have now elected a new slate of officers.

Natasha Greenstein ’25 won a closely contested presidential election at Terrace. Walker Penfield ’25 — notably, the current treasurer for the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) — secured the treasurer position. He oversaw USG's hike in activity fees from $45.50 to $95, and an almost $300,000 increase in the USG budget from last spring to the fall semester. 

Despite his storied student government tenure, he previously told The Daily Princetonian in an email that he had no plans to run for USG president.

In the only other contested election at Terrace, Alan Gutiérrez ’25 was elected vice president, while in uncontested races, Savannah Woellert ’25 was named social chair, Samara Samad ’25 was named music chair, and Joey Nartker ’25 was named house manager.

According to Princeton Eating Clubs, each of the 11 eating clubs have their own staff, undergraduate officers, and Alumni Graduate Board. The 11 presidents are also members of the Interclub Council (ICC), which convenes weekly to discuss various “club policies, student life projects, and practices to ensure a safe environment for all members and visitors to the clubs.” 

At Charter, Anna Johns ’25 won the presidential election besting a field of five candidates, and Emilio Chan ’25 won the race for vice president. The two newly-elected social chairs are Jonathan Geraghty ’25 and Wilson Conn ’25, both of whom declined to comment.

Conn is a former senior editor for the ‘Prince.’

Charter has undergone significant change in recent years, having adopted “selective sign-in” in 2020, as an alternative to the existing sign-in and bicker options. The club also limited access and frequency of “Charter Fridays,” which was previously a weekly event open to all undergraduates.

Mia Beams ’24, the outgoing Charter president, served as ICC president for the past year, having run unopposed for that position this April. 

At Cloister, Alexandra Wong ’25 was elected as the new president. Finn Dowdall ’25, Max Hunger ’25, Pat O’Connell ’25, and Amelia Sanchirico ’25 were also elected to officer positions, according to the club’s Instagram page

None of the above officers-elect provided comment to the ‘Prince.’

Cloister membership has been trending upwards since 2017 — the club offered spots to 86 new members this year, the most since 2014. Out of all the eating clubs, it had the second-lowest number of admits in 2023.

Quad also elected its top three officers for the upcoming year, including President Bill Haarlow ’25, Vice President Kaitlyn McCalebb ’25, and Treasurer Julian Jimenez ’25.

In general, undergraduate officers live in their respective clubs during their senior year. Greenstein, Haarlow, Johns, and Wong will join the board for the ICC, which also manages the eating club admission process.

Colonial is the only sign-in club that has not yet held elections for the upcoming year.

The six bicker clubs tend to hold elections after winter break. These clubs also hold bicker in February — a notoriously arduous process for officers involved in running it.

Alena Zhang is a News contributor for the ‘Prince.’