Field hockey falls to 2–4 on the season after 3–1 loss to UConn

Photo of Princeton's Lily Webb, wearing a number four jersey, driving up Bedford field towards the Husky goal.
Junior forward Lily Webb drives towards the Husky goal.
Photo courtesy of @TigerFH/X

The Princeton women’s field hockey team (2–4 overall, 0–0 Ivy League) suffered a 3–1 loss at home against the University of Connecticut (UConn) Huskies (2–6, 0–1 Big East) on Sunday. Both the Huskies and the Tigers came into this matchup with losing records, hungry for an early season win. For the Tigers, they hoped to enter their Ivy opener this Friday with a .500 record.

Princeton was able to hold out for three quarters before the Huskies broke through the defensive front. Senior goalie Robyn Thompson made an impressive first quarter save seven minutes into the game after a shot from UConn’s midfielder Sol Simone. 

Princeton persisted, with sophomore midfielder Helena Große making key defensive plays and preventing the Huskies from gaining any advantage. The Tigers offense, however, couldn’t seem to get things going. They produced just one shot on goal during the first half: a wide miss from senior forward Liz Agatucci.

The third quarter saw some progress on offense for both teams in this tight matchup. Though the scoreboard remained scoreless, the Tigers were able to gain more playing time in the offensive circle, making threatening attempts to find a way through the UConn defense. Gaining momentum, Princeton took four shots in the first five minutes of the second half with sophomore forward Talia Schenck sending a backhanded shot to the net that was kicked away by the Huskies’ goalie.

“So far we’ve had a lot of low scoring games so it’s not something that we’re new to,” senior defender Sam Davidson told The Daily Princetonian. “Our offense is something that we’re trying to work on. Just getting more opportunities in the circle and getting shots on goal and getting corners and our overall connection.”

It was not until a minute into the fourth quarter that the Huskies were able to drive the ball up the field and into the Tigers net, taking a 1–0 lead. From there, the momentum remained with the Huskies, and they followed with two more goals in the next eight minutes.

Princeton kept fighting despite the three goal deficit, and with two minutes left, the Tigers drew a penalty. Davidson made her 11th straight penalty shot for the Tigers’ only goal of the game. Despite the loss, Davidson and her play were certainly a bright spot for the Tigers. 

Princeton will face Columbia (2–4, 0–1) at home at 5pm on Friday, Sept. 22 to open their Ivy League campaign. The game will be live on ESPN+. 

“Going into any Ivy game, we have a big target on our backs. Every other team is going to want to beat us. [We’re going] into every game and not underestimating our opponent, giving it our best and going into it like it’s another top ten matchup,” Davidson told the ‘Prince.’

Evelyn Walsh is a contributor to the Sports section for the ‘Prince.’

Please send corrections to corrections[at]princeton.edu.