Aleksa Milojević, Annabelle Duval named valedictorian, salutatorian

val/sal 2023
Class of 2023 valedictorian Aleksa Milojević ’23 (left) and salutatorian Annabelle Duval ’23 (right).
Photos courtesy of Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian (left) and Princeton University Office of Communications (right)

Aleksa Milojević ’23 was named the valedictorian for the Class of 2023, and Annabelle Duval ’23 was named salutatorian, the University announced on Monday, April 24. 

Aleksa Milojević

Milojević is a mathematics concentrator from Belgrade, Serbia, marking the third consecutive year an international student was named as either the valedictorian or salutatorian.

Milojević’s research is focused on the mathematical field of combinatorics, including “solutions to some open problems that leading researchers would be proud to have produced,” according to mathematics professor Peter Sarnak, as quoted in the University press release.

For Milojević, however, these breakthrough contributions don’t rank among his most meaningful academic experiences. Rather, the mathematics concentrator identified time spent with peers, as a tutor with Mathey College, as “most fulfilling.”

He recalled working with a “struggling” younger student pursuing the introductory math sequence.

“I tried to encourage them as much as I could,” he wrote in a statement to The Daily Princetonian. “I saw them put in an immense effort.”

Now, Milojević reports, this student is “doing very well in their classes” and has gone on to pass on the favor, supporting younger students in the sequence today.

“This is the perfect example of a positive domino effect,” he wrote.

Milojević plans to continue his study of mathematics as a Ph.D. candidate at ETH Zurich. 

Annabelle Duval

Duval is a history concentrator from Rhinebeck, N.Y. with a certificate in Gender and Sexuality Studies.

Traditionally, the salutatorian delivers their address in Latin, a language Duval first started studying in the sixth grade. As an undergraduate, Duval studied the antiquity period in her home department, as well as in Classics. She also has taken courses focused on Latin literature.

In particular, a course taught by classics lecturer Melissa Haynes, “Readings in Latin Literature — Roman Women, Reality, and Fantasy,” sparked her interest. Before then, she noted in the University press release, she had never approached Latin texts from the female perspective.

For Duval, centering women and their long-sidelined experiences is a leading academic interest.

Duval’s senior thesis examined underground abortion networks in San Francisco and Chicago in the 1960s, conducting oral interviews with women involved at the time. She identified the “empowerment that came from building a group of women” as a key takeaway in a comment sent to the ‘Prince.’

Duval is a former associate features editor for the ‘Prince.’

After graduation, Duval will be working as a paralegal in the Environmental Justice and Enforcement Section at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York. Ultimately, she told the ‘Prince,’ she intends to attend law school.

Tess Weinreich is an associate News editor for the ‘Prince.’

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.