‘Both serious and kind of whimsical’: Prospective ’27s express enthusiasm during Princeton Preview

Princeton preview
Louisa Gheorghita /The Daily Princetonian 

A sunny day was perfect setting for what prospective new members of the Class of 2027 called the “warm and vibrant” environment created by University administrators, faculty, and current students as they got what was, for some of them, their first look at campus. 

On Tuesday, April 11, the University hosted the first of two Princeton Previews, a day that encourages admitted students to enroll and introduces the prospective class to campus for the first time. This year’s preview included speeches from admissions officers, campus tours led by Orange Key, Q&A student panels, an academic expo, activities fair, and student performances. 

The ‘Prince’ spoke to prospective first-years as they transitioned between scheduled events and wandered about campus. Prospective students expressed excitement about the programming and the University, speaking to the effectiveness of the event as a way of encouraging commitments to Princeton and enthusiasm among the incoming class.

“It’s intimidating knowing I will need to settle in with these residential halls and buildings, but it’s really exciting to think about,” Lauren Pak said. “I can’t imagine myself in these Harry-Potter-looking buildings.”

“I did hear how the courses are hard, and meeting some of the faculty members is intimidating,” she continued. “Through Princeton Preview, I saw the supportive staff members and students.”

A number of prospective students cited academic rigor and a strong sense of campus community as key factors that drew them to Princeton over other institutions.  

“Princeton Preview gave me an idea of the people around campus; that was the part that stood out to me,” Coco Gong said. “When current students talk about their majors, their eyes really light up. Everyone gets so cute and nerdy about these things.”

Barimah Adomakoh, originally from Ghana and now attending school in the United Kingdom, traveled across the Atlantic to attend Princeton Preview. He said he made the trip because he felt that visiting would reveal the true “sense of the culture, identity, and beauty on campus.”

“Actually being inside the environment confirms what I previously thought,” he said. “I think you can clearly tell that person is someone with passion and a lot of resilience.”

Chloe Hartwel got inspiration from the Q&A panel with students in the morning.

“The VP of the junior class talked about how she struggled a lot, but by her junior year, she had a really good teacher, and it really helped her get out of her shell,” she said. “That was encouraging to hear. Even if it is difficult at the beginning, later on you can be really happy here.”

Prospective students also commented on the many dimensions of student interests on campus.

“Princeton embraces different quirks, and people who are into many things at once,” Alistair Wright said. “Today they obviously wanted to highlight the different dance groups and activities that were both serious and kind of whimsical.” 

“It has really shined a light on the element of balance at Princeton,” Daniel Tu added. “Students talk about how they are able to participate in all their interests while spending time studying and enjoying their social life. Professors talk about how they are always engaging with students, and I admire that dimension.”

Four months before orientation, some prospective students spoke about activities they might participate in on campus.

“I’m looking forward to things I haven’t done in high school,” Pak said. “For example, I’m interested in joining an a cappella group, because I have always liked singing.”

Kevin Jeon chose Princeton because he hopes to pursue math as a major and loves the math department. However, through Princeton Preview, he enjoyed learning about musical groups and artistic opportunities. 

“Yesterday during dinner, I was talking to a previous student, and she was talking about the ceramic studio. Next year, I think I might stop by and make a plate or something,” he said.

According to students, some stand-out experiences from the evening include basketball team member sightings and hearing about real experiences from students. 

“This is going to be a little corny, but when we went to Whitman, I saw Blake Peters and Caiden Pierce eating lunch and as a big basketball guy, I was fan-girling a little bit,” Wright said. “I texted my dad immediately.”

The basketball team wasn’t the only celebrity on campus Tuesday. Throughout the day, both current and prospective students swarmed Academy Award-nominated director Christopher Nolan, who was escorting his son to Princeton Preview events. There were also reported sightings of Jeff Bezos ’86.

The second day of Princeton Preview will occur on April 18.

Rebecca Cunningham is an assistant news editor for the ‘Prince.’

Correction: A previous version of this article listed Jeff Bezos as a member of the class of ’96.

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.