Vote Masheke for Young Alumni Trustee

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 11.34.46 PM.png
Courtesy of Butler College

The field of the upcoming Young Alumni Trustee (YAT) election was culled to three spirited and devoted candidates last Friday. Although Caroline Kirby ’23’s commitment to school spirit is impressive, and Mayu Takeuchi ’23 showed admirable leadership in her role as USG President, we believe that Mutemwa Raphael Masheke ’23 has demonstrated a willingness to undertake the most pertinent University issues and reforms. 

Kirby highlights her involvement in many community-building activities in her bio, from instructing High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and spin at Dillon gym to serving as the vice president of Charter Club. However, her vision for the University’s future is out of touch with the much-needed changes Princeton requires. She emphasizes her role in interacting with “prospective students” and experience in “showing off our incredible campus.” Princeton, however, has no issue with public relations, and has more than enough appeal worldwide. 

Takeuchi’s bio emphasizes her time as president of USG, particularly in dealing with the challenges of students’ mental health. Takeuchi has been an engaged and active participant in campus dialogue, and her focus on student health has been admirable and appreciated. Her platform also touches on the issues of divestment, dining, environmental justice, and her active participation in a number of campus communities. While she has risen to the challenges that have surfaced during her time in USG and on campus, success in the role of USG President may not translate to further progress on these issues as YAT. Takeuchi has worked with University administrators for multiple years, and though she has excelled in the USG, the YAT should bring a more disruptive attitude to the Board.

The YAT role has the potential to contribute to large-scale change. Among the important committees Trustees serve on, the Committee on Finance, for example, has the power to determine the vote of Princeton’s “corporation” on “any question submitted to [it] as a stockholder with respect to corporate stock held by it.” This means that the YAT could potentially impact Princeton’s dealings with companies holding stock in fossil fuel companies. Further, the bylaws of the Trustees of Princeton University state that the “Dean of Admission and Financial Aid shall be elected by the Board,” demonstrating that the YAT could also impact the direction of the University’s future financial aid plans and admissions policies. 

Masheke has best recognized the weight that this role holds, and the changes that are most critical to campus. His recent op-ed in the ‘Prince,’ co-authored with Gil Joseph ’25, shed light on a previously under-discussed financial issue facing international students. He also has significant experience in “community advocacy,” including fighting against “social injustice” at large and specifically assisting low-income students in securing “subsidized summer housing,” indicating that he is aware of pressing issues that are both urgent and currently underrepresented in campus politics. 

Masheke emphasizes his focus on elevating “overlooked perspectives,” and his actions and candidate information clearly demonstrate that. The YAT should not only communicate the majority desires of the current student body to the Board, but fight for specific change that has yet to be addressed at Princeton. The role has more to offer than being a mouthpiece for the students who have already had the loudest voices on campus. Although we could only analyze a limited amount of information regarding each candidate, as the University prohibits YAT candidates from campaigning, we believe that Masheke’s commitment to resolving important issues that have yet to become mainstream can best serve the young Princeton community. 

147th Editorial Board

Mohan Setty-Charity ’24 (Chair)

Kalena Blake ’24

Hope Perry ’24

Abigail Rabieh ’25

None of the candidates requested any endorsement or comment from the ‘Prince’ regarding the YAT election; nor were they consulted prior to the release of this article.