Tosan Evbuomwan named to all-tournament team in NCAA South Regional

evbuomwanarizonaconn3
Senior forward Tosan Evbuomwan leaves the court triumphantly following Princeton’s win over Arizona.
Wilson Conn / The Daily Princetonian

After leading the men’s basketball team on a historic run to the Sweet 16, senior forward Tosan Evbuomwan was named to the NCAA Tournament’s South Regional All-Tournament Team on Sunday.

Evbuomwan was the only Princeton player to earn the honor of being named to the team and the only player not from San Diego State or Creighton. In three NCAA Tournament games, he averaged 16.0 points, 6.0 assists, and 7.3 rebounds. He led the Tigers in assists in two of their three games and led them in scoring in their Round of 64 win over the Arizona Wildcats with 15 points. 

In their Sweet 16 loss to the Creighton Bluejays, Evbuomwan combined with fellow senior, guard Ryan Langborg for 50 of the team’s 75 points. Evbuomwan finished with 24 and nine assists, and Langborg finished with 26 points, a career-high for the Tigers guard.

Langborg was notably left off the All-Tournament Team, despite leading the Tigers in scoring with an 18.7 per-game average. Of the three guards who earned the honor, none had a higher tournament scoring average than Langborg. 

“I think Langborg made a great case [to be named to the team] too. He was unbelievable for us,“ Evbuomwan wrote to The Daily Princetonian. 

Despite not having played against a team from a Power-Five conference all year heading into the tournament, Evbuomwan proved he is a high-major talent against PAC-12 Champions Arizona, Missouri, and a Big East powerhouse, Creighton.

“[I’m] glad we were able to show we can hang with anybody and compete with those guys,“ Evbuomwan wrote. “The talent level was raised obviously [compared to the Ivy League] but I felt good playing out there.”

After wrapping up a legendary Princeton career, Evbuomwan’s plans are not yet public. He has one year remaining of NCAA eligibility, which he could choose to use at another university as a grad transfer. Playing in the pros also remains a possibility for the Englishman; NBADraft.net currently projects Evbuomwan as a late second-round pick in the upcoming 2023 NBA draft.

““I’ll make an announcement on next year’s plans soon,” he told the ‘Prince.’

Henceforth, the story of Princeton basketball will be incomplete without mention of Evbuomwan and his contributions to the program. He ranks second all-time in program history in assists and 34th all-time in points, despite having missed his entire sophomore season due to COVID-19 cancellations and played just 14.3 minutes per game as a first-year. 

In two years as an upperclass player, he won back-to-back Ivy League regular season titles, one Ivy Madness title, one Ivy Madness Most Outstanding Player award, one Ivy League Player of the Year award, and was a two-time All-Ivy First Team selection. 

“My teammates, friends, and coaches, all have meant so much to me and contributed to my success on the court,” he wrote. “I have made bonds for life.”

Diego Uribe is an assistant editor for the Sports section at thePrince.’ 

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.