‘It's life changing’: QuestBridge students match with Princeton

morrison hall Abby de Riel DP.jpg
Morrison Hall, where the Office of Admission is located
Abby de Riel / The Daily Princetonian

On Dec. 1, high school students across the country were admitted to the University via the QuestBridge National College Match. In keeping with an announcement made earlier this year, the University has not released admissions statistics about the Class of 2027, according to an email from University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss, including the number of QuestBridge recipients.

Last year, the University accepted 110 students through QuestBridge. 

Peyton McLaughlin ’27, a first-generation student from Philadelphia, Pa., who matched with Princeton through QuestBridge, described the moment she opened her application status update in an interview with the ‘Prince.’

“I was so overwhelmed when I received my acceptance, I practically ran down the halls to tell all my teachers,” she said. 

QuestBridge is a national non-profit organization that provides “high-achieving high school seniors from low-income backgrounds with full four-year scholarships to top colleges.”

The University’s partnership with QuestBridge began in 2006 in order to provide “a top-quality education to students from a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds,” according to the Undergraduate Admissions website.

Overall, 5,613 finalists were considered for the Match Scholarship across all participating universities. These 48 affiliated universities accepted 1,755 students this year, the largest pool of Match Scholarship Recipients since the program began in 2004

Anherutowa Calvo ’27, a first-generation match recipient from Mangilao, Guam, recalled feeling anxious as he opened his QuestBridge results last week.

“I’ve spent late nights trying to go through all my supplementals while making it the best it could be,” he wrote in a statement to the ‘Prince.’ “I couldn’t help but think, ‘you won’t get it,’ as how could a small island boy like me get such an insane achievement?”

“I was wrong; I did it,” he wrote, lauding QuestBridge for the opportunity. “As someone from a small island somewhere off in the Pacific Ocean, we’re not really given the opportunities provided elsewhere.” 

Erick Zaragoza ’27, a match recipient from San Jose, Calif., echoed Calvo’s sentiments. Zaragoza reflected on how proud he felt telling his mom he got into Princeton. 

“The very fact that programs like QuestBridge exist makes me feel that I belong on Princeton’s campus,” he said.

In considering what her experience with QuestBridge meant for her, McLaughlin said, “I wasn’t sure how I would finance college coming from a low-income household, however, QuestBridge gave me the opportunity to do so.” 

“I’m so grateful to be able to continue my studies without the financial burden and to have connected with Princeton. As cliché as it sounds, it’s life changing,” she added.

These matches mark the beginning of college acceptances for the Class of 2027. QuestBridge match decisions are followed by single-choice early action decisions later this month. The incoming Class of 2027 will continue to grow through regular decision notifications in the spring of next year. 

Jocelyne Wijaya is a news contributor at the ‘Prince.’ Please direct all corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.