Women's soccer suffers crushing loss against Brown, 6–1

FekaKhFVIAAA0Dr.jpg
The Tigers have lost two of their first three Ivy League games.
Courtesy of @princetonwsoc/Twitter.

Coming off of consecutive wins against Dartmouth (5–4–2, 0–2 Ivy) and Bucknell (7–5–1, 4–1 Patriot), the Princeton Tigers (7–5, 1–2 Ivy) looked to extend the win streak but ultimately fell to the Brown Bears (8–2–1 overall, 3–0 Ivy) on Saturday, Oct. 8 at Roberts Stadium with a score of 6–1.

The defending Ivy champion Bears, behind whom the Tigers finished second in the previous season, got off to a fast start following the opening kick off, netting a goal just under three minutes into the game. With the early momentum, Brown managed to score four additional goals in the first 45 minutes of play. While Princeton did manage to generate some quality chances toward the end of the first half, the constant defensive pressure by Brown definitely made things difficult, and the Tigers found themselves in a 5-0 hole heading to the locker room.

In the second half, first-year forward Pietra Tordin struck the ball well from outside the box to put the Tigers on the board with 10 minutes remaining, marking a team-best seventh goal of the season.

However, this spark came just a little too late, and the game ended with a final score of 6–1.

“I think we had moments where we possessed the ball well: playing simple, moving for each other, and supporting each other at every spot on the field,“ senior captain and defender Kamy Loustau wrote in a comment to The Daily Princetonian. “I think there were also moments where we lost our composure a little and, unfortunately, Brown was able to capitalize on those chances.”

The Tigers will look to bounce back against Columbia (6–3–2, 2–1) on Saturday, Oct. 15. as they continue their Ivy League play.

“I think one of the biggest keys to bouncing back against Columbia is our mentality,” Loustau added. “Win or lose this team always gives everything we have and more. I have no doubt that we will come into practice this week with an unrelenting focus and effort towards confronting our mistakes and fixing them.” 

Eric Lee is a senior writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince’. He can be reached at ericlee@princeton.edu or on Instagram @airic.lee.