Llewelyn decommits from Clemson University

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.58.28 PM.png
Jaelin Llewelyn reopens recruitment. 
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

Men’s basketball senior guard Jaelin Llewellyn has reopened his recruitment for next season.

Just one week after verbally committing to Clemson University in South Carolina, Llewellyn announced his decision to explore other options via Twitter on Tuesday, April 19.

“Just want to say thanks and show appreciation to the guys I have met on the team, as well as the coaches and staff at Clemson, as they were great hosts during my visit,” Llewellyn wrote.

“I am still considering Clemson as my home for next year, but due to recent changes, my family and I have decided to reopen my recruitment in order to reconsider the best options,” he added.

Clemson basketball has experienced a hectic offseason thus far, which may have contributed to Llewellyn’s decision. On April 12, immediately following Llewellyn’s initial decision to transfer to Clemson, former Clemson Assistant Coach Antonio Reynolds-Dean accepted a new job as the Associate Head Coach at the University of Georgia. 

Reynolds-Dean had been with Clemson for the last five seasons, and was the point of contact for Llewellyn during his recruiting process. On April 16, veteran Assistant Coach Kareem Richardson became the second assistant head coach to depart from Clemson in the same week, compounding the turnover on the coaching staff.

At the time of publication, Llewellyn did not respond to a request for comment from The Daily Princetonian.

The signing period for NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball will close on May 18. Until then, Llewellyn will likely have an impressive list of schools to choose from. Prior to his commitment to Clemson, Llewellyn had been in contact with the University of Alabama, Vanderbilt University, and the University of Memphis, just to name a few of his Division I suitors.

Matt Drapkin is a staff writer for the ‘Prince’ sports section. He can be reached at mattdrapkin@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @mattdrapkin.